+ Reply to Thread

Default Icynene and Recessed Lighting

Hello

I'm thinking of using icynene spray foam insulation in my basement remodel. I am installing radiant heat in the joist bays for the room above and would like to insulate with icynene spray foam insulation. In the basement I am using recessed lighting. Is there any specific fixture that can be used in conjunction with this insulation?

Thanks!

Anthony

Default Re: Icynene and Recessed Lighting

I have never personally had any of the fixtures mounted in spray on insulation. Using normal insulation you need a housing that is IC rated for direct contact insulation. I would go the the manufactures website and see if that using spray insulation would effect the operation. I would assume being that a IC rated housing would have been tested for this type of insulation. IC rated housings can be in direct contact with insulation. If you look at the two IC rated and just a normal housing the difference is the can or light is enclosed. This is the heat buildup from the lamp will not ignite any flamable material touching the housing. In both IC and normal housing there is a thermal cut out that will open up if the heat becomes to hot as a safty device. After the cutout cools down it will allow the lamp to come back on. So I would be concerned that the spray foam could keep to much heat in the fixture cause the light to go off and come back on. I would also be concerned by the added heat of the radiant heat as it will add the the lamp heat with in the fixture.
    Harry

While I have no experience with icynene spray & lights, why not use fiberglass insulation. It will give you the acoustic & thermal insulation you need.

Thanks for the replys - After some thought, I am going to use fiberglass in the ceiling. I think that will work just fine. The basement is habitable space already, it needs a facelift. Brick walls and dark wooden paneling with only 1 center ceiling fan as the light source.