+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Electrical savings

OK, I guess last post was deleted.

Let me keep it simple this time. Looking for advice on companies that claim to save you money on your electric bill. I am looking into one in my area that should save me 15%. Looking for other options to see what is out there.

Default Re: Electrical savings

Just keep in mind that gadgets are usually just that - GADGETS! The only savings will be in the weight of your wallet after having paid for said gadgets.

The simplest thing that you can do is unplug all devices not in use or install power strips so the flick of a switch cuts power to multiple items at a time, such as an entertainment center. If the device has a clock, remote, or active sensors of any kind it's drawing and wasting power.

Beyond that, use lower wattage light bulbs, and/or switch to fluorescent bulbs.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Ditto to the above post, plus check the Energy Star Rating on any appliances and buy the ones with the best rating. Turn off lights that are not necessary.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

How about a little more info on these guys . What convinced you that they are the real deal ?

As I explained in previous post, I saw the results on the A/C showing a 4-5 degree reduction in the air temp coming out of the vents.

As far as the power correction unit, they had a demo with a 5 amp motor and a couple of True RMS meters. When thier unit was off, the motor recieved 5 amps and on the return line it showed 5 amps use back to the power company. When they turned it on, the unit still got 5 amps, but was only showing 4.3 amps back to the electric company. I am probably not explaining it exactly right - this is not my area of expertise. That showed a 14% saving on that unit. It is also suppose to provide surge protection to everything it is hooked up to.

Thier main focus is commercial applications and I did walk through a grocery store and and office building where it was installed. They also had many reference letters from manufacturing plants, hospitals and others saying how happy they all were with their installs.

I am more than conviced that the product works, I just don't know if there are other things out there that work better that I have not heard of. That is the reason for posting.

Thanks for any input.

I guess I missed the previous thread . Do you have a link to their website ?

greenplanettec.com

The website was no help at all .

Quote Originally Posted by huskerhydes View Post
    greenplanettec.com
    Power Enhancement Units are usually capacitors and peak voltage clamps that clamps the peak voltage and smooths out the AC sine wave. They are designed to work on inductive loads (motors). To save 10 to 20% on your electric bill you would have to have a major portion of your electric bill going to run motors. Even if you have a well pump, washer and dryer, a rotisserie oven, and an antenna rotor, I doubt if the electric usage for those items would be the major portion of your overall bill. The test you described for the oil enhancement technology, putting a thermometer in a vent and checking the temp then adding their oil and rechecking the temp is not a valid test. You would get the same results checking the temp in the vent, going for a cup of coffee, then checking the temp again. A valid test would have to check the temp on the air entering the A/C coil and exiting it to see if there was a real differential change, which I seriously doubt. It sounds more like a snake oil salesman's gimmick.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thumbs down Re: Electrical savings

Jack is right. It is a bank of capacitors the shifts the voltage 90% out of phase. That is why you see the lover current on the phase wire. What is commonly known as power factor correction? What you do not understand is that commercial customers are charged by demand. What is meant by that is they are charged by the peak time they use electricity. If they use 100 Kilo watts hrs at a peek time. But only use 50 Kilo watt hours at other times then they pay the 100 kilo hours. The power company must be able to deliver 100 kilo watt hours when the facility demands it. There are also made to keep their power factor with in a certain range. As jack statmented above the capacitors help keep the power factor. It is a smoke and mirror show for a homeowner. I could be a little off on how the power company charges but the jist is it used in commercial applications to correct the power factor.
    Harry