+ Reply to Thread

Question Shower door mildew

I cannot rid my shower door of mold and mildew. It is mainly along the bottom of the door / top of tub caulking. I have tried a variety of cleaners. At this point the mildew is climbing the sides and is on the glass edges of the door. When it is cleaned and rinsed, chunks of caulking are coming off. It has begun to show through on the outside edge as well.
    I had planned to take the doors off, remove all old caulking and reinstalling the doors.
    Is this the best plan?
    What can I do to prevent this in the future?
    What will kill the mildew on the doors themselves?

Default Re: Shower door mildew

remove old caulk clean well. hydrogen peroxide on shower door tracks and frames works good doesn't etch glass or ruin the new gaskets like tilex and power bleach mildew killers will. when you recaulk use a bath and shower labeled caulk that is mildew resistant. vent the bathroom and use the power vent.

Thanks for the suggestions

If you reinstall the track, be sure it has a bit of pitch toward the shower so that water doesn't get trapped in the track.

I believe most, if not all, bottom tracks, if not open sided on the tub/shower side, have openings through which the water is supposed to drain. If yours is designed with drain holes, be sure these are kept open and not allowed to get "gunked" up. Q-Tips are sometimes great helpers when it comes to cleaning spaces like this.

Anything you can do to keep the door glass very clean and smooth will help by not giving the mildew a "rough" surface foothold. I just recently completed cleaning the ceramic tile in my shower and was amazed at the buildup of minerals. I used "Bio-Clean Water Stain Remover" which I believe is now being sold under the name "Bring It On". As good as these products are, it took a lot of elbow grease, but it was well worth it now that it is done.