+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default sulfur water odor removal

We have a bleaching system on our home for the removal of sulfur odor. We have currently run into the problem of having to run bleach through this system at least once a week to remove the odors. A week later it is back. We have replaced the anode rod in the hot water heater, we have taken the anode rod out completely, nothing of which is working. How do you remove the sulfur odor and make it STAY AWAY! Any suggestions?

Default Re: sulfur water odor removal

A proper whole house filter and softener should do the trick.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Unhappy Re: sulfur water odor removal

I have the same problem, even put in a new waterheater 7 months ago. Now it is so plugged it will not freely drain out. It is filled with black gunk, my water stinks again, and the plumber nor water company have any advice. Something is wrong! I have a filter attached as well as an expansion tank. I'm told to test the water out of the heater ($400), which I fail to see why I should do this, I'm told I dont use enough hot water (ha-ha), all to no avail. Oh, or put in a tankless water heater ($1300) not including labor.....HELP SOMEONE!! Seems like no one can help.

Most water conditioning companies will do free water tests and recommend the equipment needed. If a standard water heater failed so quickly I doubt that a tank-less heater would last any longer.
    Jack

Katie,

Not sure what you mean by a "bleaching system". Is this a private well and you mean that you've installed a chlorinator on the well?

Presuming you're on a private well.....does the raw cold water smell of sulfur........ or only the hot water?

Did you change out the standard magnesium anode rod for an aluminum rod? That sometimes does the trick, but not always. It depends.

Do you see evidence of iron algae in your water supply? (Reddish-brown algae-like material in your toilet tank)

PVDeb,

Are you on a private well? (Will assume so unless you indicate otherwise.)

Sounds like you definitely need a thorough water test. $400 is ridiculous.....unless you live in Beverly Hills or the Hamptons. The water department in the nearest city/municipalty *may* do the test for free..... *if* you're residing in the same county. If not, try contacting a local well-driller for lab recommendations/referral. (Some well-drillers have their own labs and do the testing in their own facility)

I would recommend that you get that test ASAP (include tests for heavy metals, organic materials, fecal coliform, iron, nitrates, etc) before you make any further decisions. You'll need about an 8 ounce sample of the raw water collected in a sterilized container. The lab of choice should provide the container with instructions of exactly how to take the sample. (Our local driller tests for all of the above for around $125 - $150)

Water treatment is a science. First you must know what's in the water before you can arrive an effective water treatment plan in the most cost effective manner. Don't get taken by water-treatment scammers.

http://www.goodwaterco.com/watereducation/comprob.htm

Take special notice of "rotten egg odor in cold water".
    Last edited by goldhiller; 08-18-2007 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by katiesmom05 View Post
    We have a bleaching system on our home for the removal of sulfur odor. We have currently run into the problem of having to run bleach through this system at least once a week to remove the odors. A week later it is back. We have replaced the anode rod in the hot water heater, we have taken the anode rod out completely, nothing of which is working. How do you remove the sulfur odor and make it STAY AWAY! Any suggestions?
    Did you ever try turning up the hot water temperature ?Put temp to atleast 120 degrees or more maybe this will help. Good Luck

****hiller ,
    Thanks for that link . I have bookmarked it for future reference.
    Jack

I have been having an odd problem with a sulfur odor in the water. We have a well that serves four houses. In three of them, and at the pressure tank, there is no sulfur smell or taste, though the water has a slight iron/hard taste that is barely discernible. In the fourth house there is a real problem with sulfur odors, but only in the kitchen sink, and only on the cold water side. The toilet and the bathroom sink have no odor right now, but have in the past. The hot water side has no odor now, but did in the past as well. The house had been replumbed with Pex pipe all the way back to the pressure tank 2 years ago, after there was a sulfur smell problem, which I assumed was from the previous plumbing system, a mix of galvanized, black plastic, and PVC. The smell was ok for a while then showed up in the hot water side, then the cold. At this point there are two filters with charcoal cartridges on the system, one on the hot side and one on the cold. The other buildings have Pex, plastic, copper and galvanized pipe, but no smells. Now what? It is driving me crazy. Thanks.

Norman

Quote Originally Posted by nrabek View Post
    I have been having an odd problem with a sulfur odor in the water. We have a well that serves four houses. In three of them, and at the pressure tank, there is no sulfur smell or taste, though the water has a slight iron/hard taste that is barely discernible. In the fourth house there is a real problem with sulfur odors, but only in the kitchen sink, and only on the cold water side. The toilet and the bathroom sink have no odor right now, but have in the past. The hot water side has no odor now, but did in the past as well. The house had been replumbed with Pex pipe all the way back to the pressure tank 2 years ago, after there was a sulfur smell problem, which I assumed was from the previous plumbing system, a mix of galvanized, black plastic, and PVC. The smell was ok for a while then showed up in the hot water side, then the cold. At this point there are two filters with charcoal cartridges on the system, one on the hot side and one on the cold. The other buildings have Pex, plastic, copper and galvanized pipe, but no smells. Now what? It is driving me crazy. Thanks.

Norman
    it seems very strange that you only have this problem with the cold water in the kitchen...
    Usually this problem seems to be all over the house.
    also it's strange that the odour used to be in other parts of the house but faded away somehow.
    maybe it will happen with the kitchen sink too in time.

good luck with it,

Ritchie from TheReefTank