+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Power spray painter suggestions, please

Back story:
    I do a lot of remodels/additions and am looking to speed up the painting process. I bought a cheap wagner painter for $99 that said on the side of the box that it could handle latex paint. Well, it couldn't. It just spit and sputtered and made a big mess, and I had to go back over the walls with a roller and the floors with a mop. I know I can water down the paint to get a better mist, but the whole idea of the getting this thing was to make life easier, so I don't want to be thinning and mixing the paint.
    Question:
    Is there a good power painter that can handle latex right out of the can that won't cost me $500?
    What about pneumatic? I have the ubiquitous red Porter Cable pancake compressor - is there a sprayer out there that will run on 2.6 SCFM @ 90 PSI?
    Any other options I haven't even considered?
    My goal:
    $200 range, short clean up time, capable of handling full viscosity latex.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Power spray painter suggestions, please

For shooting latex, stay away from air sprayers, they're not suitable for thick finishes. Wagner is a "homeowner" level paint apparatus that is just barely capable of doing as advertised. For any quantity or quality level of finish, you need to step up to professional level equipment. I bought a Titan447ex airless system from a paint dealer 15 years ago for roughly $300, that might be a bit more than you wanted or expected to pay, but as mentioned, you really need to step up to professional equipment if you you're doing any amount of work on a regular basis and want a decent finish. The added benefit of professional equipment is that you will always be able to get repair parts for it, whereas "homeowner" level items tend to change without notice and not have much for support once a change has been made.

One last thing, with the Titan airless sprayer, I also purchased a power roller, which works the same way that a Wagner power roller works. It saves time and hassles over painting from a pan and roller, and IMHO, works 100 times better than what the Wagner could even think to aspire to.

Just two cents from a pro.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks Spruce.
    Unfortunately, the cheapest I could find a Titan for is $800 plus shipping!
    There were units from other companies that were cheaper:
    Campbell Hausfield
    Graco
    Apex
    and of course the Wagner "paint crew" pro model.
    Any feedback on these brands, or any other options to consider?
    Or is it like any other power tool, and I should just pay more and get the real thing.
    Last edited by Dairylander; 04-28-2008 at 09:51 AM.

Depending on your needs, you could probably buy a used piece of equipment. Check your local Craigslist for "airless sprayer" and see what you find. A condition of the sale would be to have a shop inspect the pump and operating condition.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Dairylander -

check out the Wagner "Power Crew"or "Paint Crew Plus". It is a true airless sprayer suitable for the homeowner. It comes with a real spray gun and 25 feet of hose. It will support a .015 tip which will allow you to spray about 90% of what you will spray as a homeowner without thinning the paint. Most paints can be thinned with up to a cup of water without effecting the integrity of the paint. The Plus unit sells for about $230. The regular Paint Crew I have seen on sale at Costco or Home Depot for as little as $150. Both units use standard Titan or Grago spray tips..http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/porta...pray,,747.html

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Both units use standard Titan or Grago spray
    IMHO, this is the most important aspect of purchasing any equipment, whether it's professional level, homeowner level, name brand, or no-name. Cheap tools tend to be cheap for a reason, and that's usually because they don't have replacement parts at all or are not standard, which means you can only purchase parts from the manufacturer at a much higher cost.

Spruce -

Speaking as someone who was a contractor for 40 years, I would generally agree with you. However,it is difficult for the average homeowner to justify spending several hundred dollars for a piece of equipment which will only be used a couple times a year. The Paint Crew is a decent piece of equipment for occasional use. I have had very few complaints from those people to whom I have sold it. It is an honest to God airless unit, unlike those handheld Wagner units which I do not recommend to anyone except for very limited types of painting such as hobbyists spraying very light bodied paints.

The other alternative for someone who only needs an airless every several years to paint the house, is to rent a professional model for about $70 per day.

Gracos and Titans can be had for as little as $300. The main difference in price is the capacity of the unit to spray heavier paints without thinning and the service interval. The lower priced units will only support a .015 tip.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    The Paint Crew is a decent piece of equipment for occasional use. I have had very few complaints from those people to whom I have sold it. It is an honest to God airless unit, unlike those handheld Wagner units which I do not recommend to anyone except for very limited types of painting such as hobbyists spraying very light bodied paints.
    That was the point I was making, if it seemed that I was implying otherwise, I apologize. I too understand and agree that homeowners and occasional users don't necessarily need professional equipment, however as you also eloquently stated, there's a big difference between an inexpensive unit to do the job and a piece of junk. As a professional myself, I always weigh the price of the right equipment against the amount of use it will receive, versus rental cost (i.e., how many times can I rent the equipment for the purchase price of said equipment? ). There are a few other factors as well, but this is the primary decision maker - cost/use/rental.

DONT buy wagner sprayers. They are junk! Save some money and buy a home depot graco sprayer. They work great and last if you take care of them. They range $300-1000. Models are xr3 xr5 xr7 xr9. Depending on how much you plan on using it will determine what size to buy. I am a painter by trade and I use my xr7 quite a bit.

I was thinking of this thread the other day. I've been haunting Craigslist, and it's a great place to find decent tools at good prices. It is important to shop around to know what you want, what you're looking at while reading an ad, and ultimately its value. From there you'll be able to look at the condition of a unit to determine if you're interested.