+ Reply to Thread

Default Muddy Perimeter around Yard

We have a German Shephard that loves to run around our fence line. Problem? She has successfully made a muddy ditch around our perimeter. It's especially fun after a rain, when she's out there jumping in the puddles and gets mud-packed fur!

I've suggested mulch but my hubby thinks she'll just track it elsewhere in the yard.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Muddy Perimeter around Yard

Forget the mulch , it'll just get pounded down into the mud or scattered around the yard . Large dogs are hell on a yard . I know . There is no easy fix for your problem . Something more permanent like brick pavers , asphalt , concrete , etc . are the only things that will hold up over time . If you try to relocate the dog or limit her access to that area , she'll just tear up a new area . You probably already realize that .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    If you try to relocate the dog or limit her access to that area , she'll just tear up a new area . You probably already realize that .
    Yes, I do realize that, especially since there are other dogs on all sides of us which she loves to bark at and run back and forth with. We thought of hedging, but besides being pricey we think that she'll just make her path on the other side of it intead.

I really don't like the concrete idea, because I'm afraid of that too (plus I don't want a concrete perimeter around our yard, as I'm sure you can understand). What if we dug out a few inches, filled in w/ landscape fabric, crushed stone fill and then river rock, mulch, et al over that? If we bordered it up high enough (say with stone edging) would that keep the material in place?

And, more importantly, do you think that our wonderful dog will still choose to run in there as opposed to making a new trench on the other side of it?
    Last edited by 20nic; 04-26-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: punctuation

I have a nice big german shepherd, too. Her 'patrol' trails are well worn as well... I just have to figure it's part and parcel of dog ownership. My dog's not outside all the time, only when I'm home does she get to go out. And she likes to run back and forth with any other dog that comes along. I think that's a favourite doggie game! haha!

Even if you do all that stuff, and hedge, etc.. I think your dog will still make the trails. Sorry, i have no answer.
    Sure do know what you mean about the mud, though.... (wish I had a big trough to hose her down in before bringing her in sometimes!)

Quote Originally Posted by 20nic View Post
    Yes, I do realize that, especially since there are other dogs on all sides of us which she loves to bark at and run back and forth with. We thought of hedging, but besides being pricey we think that she'll just make her path on the other side of it intead.

I really don't like the concrete idea, because I'm afraid of that too (plus I don't want a concrete perimeter around our yard, as I'm sure you can understand). What if we dug out a few inches, filled in w/ landscape fabric, crushed stone fill and then river rock, mulch, et al over that? If we bordered it up high enough (say with stone edging) would that keep the material in place?

And, more importantly, do you think that our wonderful dog will still choose to run in there as opposed to making a new trench on the other side of it?
    You could try the stone path thing but I doubt it's going to solve your problem . You could you try it on a small section and see how she reacts to it . If it's uncomfortable on her feet , she'll just run down the outside edge and create a new mess . Large dogs and yards are not compatible . Been there , done that .