+ Reply to Thread

Default spray foam insulation retrofit

I live in central Texas and my house faces SW. I am supposed to have R-19 in my walls and R-30 loose cellulose in my attic but doubt that to be true because it gets way to hot in here in the summer (soffit and passive roof venting in attic). I am pondering removing my Hardi-lap siding, removing whatever insulation is on the SW side of my house, adding spray foam then a radiant heat barrier before reinstalling the siding. Will the spray foam hurt the drywall? I've pondered adding eave vents and replacing one of the passive vents with a solar powered fan, plus adding more cellulose and/or spray foam under the roof decking with a radiant barrier on top of that. Is this overkill? Would you recommend another way to insulate and keep my "energy efficient" three year old house cool?

Default Re: spray foam insulation retrofit

I have basic dark (black??) shingles. I think they are called "architectural singles."

Default Re: spray foam insulation retrofit

I'll check out the "house as a system" info.

I have a stick tree in the front yard. It is a bur oak that will take years to provide shade so I am pondering switching it with my crepe myrtles as they will grow taller, faster.

My drive way is also on the SW side and the shade it gets isn't near the house so I get reflected heat on that side.