+ Reply to Thread

Default Need Advice: Cleaning painted walls/ceilings that have candle soot

Hello Folks,

I have a 50 year old house that I am putting a lot of sweat equity into. The previous resident used cheap candles in the house. The soot from the candles is everywhere. The walls are painted, no wallpaper. The ceilings are textured(swirl pattern). What can I use to clean(liquid solution and/or machines)the walls, ceilings and woodwork(molding) that would not be corrosive to these surfaces, yet clean these surfaces efficently? My goal is to clean all surfaces in preparation for new paint. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

From my Old House,

The GrayGhost

Default Re: Need Advice: Cleaning painted walls/ceilings that have candle soot

I had a similar problem. I tried all kinds of cleaners to no avail. I finally painted the surfaces with 2 coats of oil based Kilz to seal it in. It's been 10 years and still no bleed through.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Candle soot on painted walls

I had this problem as well. I used a slightly damp Magic Eraser and gently rubbed the soot off of the walls. I would test a small area first.