+ Reply to Thread

Default Upgrading Tub and Shower Trimming without tearing down any walls

We have a house built in the 40's with a Kohler Niedecken BUILT-IN MIXER K-7000. The Stem has stripped not allowing us to turn-on or off the water. When it happened I thought ***..looks like I finally have a reason to change all my trimming (I wanted to do this for awhile). I bought myself a brand new beautiful tub and shower set and was ready to go when I found out I would have to tear down the walls to replace the pressure valve with the new one in the set I bought. I was able to track down a stem replacement, but I still want to change out the trimmings.

Does anyone know of any new trimming sets (handle especially) that is compatible with the Niedecken BUILT-IN MIXER stem?
    The Niedecken stem connects the the handle with a 1/2" hex head that tapers down on the end. Number 9 in photo.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Niedecken.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	1025

I have attached a picture to refernce. Any helps or advice is greatly appreciated
    Thanks Jenn

Default Re: Upgrading Tub and Shower Trimming without tearing down any walls

This seems too obvious to ask, and I assume with all the detail you provided you would have thought of this, but have you checked with Kohler? A company of their size and reputation should have replacement parts available and be able to tell you what may or may not be compatible with their product.

I just went to Kohler.com and navigated my way through the site until I got to parts for showers. I typed in the k-7000 in the search box and a diagram popped up with all the individual parts for your shower handle. I do not know how to attach the link, but if you want to replace the existing parts you should be able to. Perhaps if you play around on the site, or call the 800 number and speak to a representative you can find new, compatible trim.

Good luck!

I feel liike an idiot now. You said you were able to find a stem replacement but wanted nw trim. Sorry for not reading your e mail better.
    Last edited by Eric1435; 04-25-2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Addt'l detail