+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flaming Burch

Default Flaming Burch

OK guys I answer alot of electrical questions on here now is your chance. I travel for my job so it takes awhile to complete a project. Over the past year I have been installing some tongue and groove two tone burch on my three season porch. I am almost ready to start the finish. I have started to sand the whole room that is about 14 feet square and the vaulted ceiling. I want your advise on how I should finish theses beautiful boards in a clear coat. I know shelac yellows over time and want to keep the white part of the boards white. I plan on using two coates of satin polyuethane. Your advice? I promise pictures
    Last edited by Ravens53; 04-25-2008 at 01:19 PM.
    Harry

Default Re: Flaming Burch

Burch -

All woods will oxidize with time and turn darker and reddish or yellowish. You must stablize the wood with a pigmented stain to keep this from happening. If you want to retain a whitish look, try a white based pickling stain. Most of the stain will wipe off, but enough will remain to stabilize the wood. Don't miss any areas or they will eventually darken and be in contrast to the whiter wood.

Be advised that oil based varnishs or urethanes all have a slight amber tone which will pull off the color of very light woods. The waterbased acrylics or urethanes will dry crystal clear.