+ Reply to Thread

Question Need to reattach outside electrical box

I need to reattach an outside electrical box (not an outlet, but the main electrical box) to the house because it has come loose and tips and water is getting in causing lighting problems. I believe I have to call my power company to shut off power while I reattach the box to the house. Is there any reason I cannot reattach the box myself? What do I need to know? I would prefer not to have to pay an electrician to do it. Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Need to reattach outside electrical box

Quote Originally Posted by JP2435 View Post
    I need to reattach an outside electrical box (not an outlet, but the main electrical box) to the house because it has come loose and tips and water is getting in causing lighting problems. I believe I have to call my power company to shut off power while I reattach the box to the house. Is there any reason I cannot reattach the box myself? What do I need to know? I would prefer not to have to pay an electrician to do it. Thanks for any help!
    Safety would be my #1 concern!! If you say water is getting in and causing lighting problems I would have en experienced electrician or a tech from the power company handle this one. There may be a problem with the wiring/connections inside the box from the water and they would be the most qualified person to correct this.
    If it is on the outside of the house, perhaps the power company is responsible for this and it won't cost anything. I would check with your power company first and see what their response is.

I would strongly suggest a electrical contractor. Not because of attaching the box. You said you have had lighting problems. You probably have corrosion building up on the bus bars. Or even worse the water might have penitrated the circuit breakers.When the circuit breakers become wet in time will not function. There is just to much that can go wrong and can cause overheating then a fire.
    Harry

No offense, but if you have to ask this question, please call a pro...