+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions

Default Suggestions

I live in a 100 year old house that contains little to no insulation, except in the finished attic. The walls are all latte and plaster and I'm not quite sure how to insulate them without taking down the walls. Can someone please help with this problem and suggest something

Alfetta159 Guest

Default Re: Suggestions

That's typically handled with blown in cellulose. I've seen them do it on Ask TOH.

Drill a large hole between all of the studs and rent the equipment to blow in cellulose insulation. The insulation is usually borate treated so it'll help keep the bugs away. An old house however might be a bit of a challenge as they tend to have some funny, non-standard framing.

http://hometips.com/articles/sunset_...towall074.html

(no affiliation w/ the hometips.com site, just for illustration.)
    Last edited by Alfetta159; 06-04-2007 at 12:59 PM. Reason: added web link.

If I owned a nice 100 yr old home I believe I would look for a prfessional insulation contractor that was familiar at working with homes of this age and also has references from "client homeowners" that live in these homes.

Thumbs up Re: Suggestions

you can also use a pourable foam insulation. The insulation contractor will drill small holes and fill the cavity with the foam insulation. The nice thing about the foam compaired to the cellulose is that it will never sag, settle, or loose R-value over time. The foam also gets into every crack and crevise in the wall to stop all air infiltration.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Harbor Insulation View Post
    you can also use a pourable foam insulation. The insulation contractor will drill small holes and fill the cavity with the foam insulation. The nice thing about the foam compaired to the cellulose is that it will never sag, settle, or loose R-value over time. The foam also gets into every crack and crevise in the wall to stop all air infiltration.
    However, if the house is as old as stated, it may still have tube/bare wire wiring. If so, it will have to be replaced with modern wiring before ANY insulation of any type is added, especially foam, as tube/bare relies on the air gap for electrical insulation.

Original poster - you need to make sure that you don't have tube/bare wiring before proceeding any further. Then again, any insulation contractor worth their salt would check that first.
    Tom Stangl
    Hidden Content
    Prius Visual FAQ Home
    Hidden Content
    DSM Visual FAQ home

Caveat: IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor) - I am simply a DIYer that tends to do a lot of research. Contact licensed Contractors/Architects/whatever for the final legal word on any advice.