+ Reply to Thread

Default Newly-installed leaking slider door

We are involved in trying to get the situation corrected...could be the installation; could be partly a product issue. But, thinking ahead, has anyone ever had a newly-installed slider door REINSTALLED? Any thoughts/suggestions are most welcome.

Default Re: Newly-installed leaking slider door

what brand is it i have an amercan craftsman it is awful it leaks cold and air in the winter it's like the door not even closed return it don't wait find another you tried go for a different one if you can

how was it installed, by a professional? diy'er, was flashing used, caulking, foam insulation? were is it leaking around the edges? the door itself where it closes?

lots of unanswerd questions before a decision can be made, let me know for follow up

Smile Re: Newly-installed leaking slider door

Quote Originally Posted by dpal View Post
    We are involved in trying to get the situation corrected...could be the installation; could be partly a product issue. But, thinking ahead, has anyone ever had a newly-installed slider door REINSTALLED? Any thoughts/suggestions are most welcome.
    Looks to me like it was not installed correctly the first time. If it was done by a "part-time carpenter", it might not have any flashing above the door, to skirt the water over the nailing flange. Often times, there is always a big rush by some guys to get things done, only to do it incorrectly. I installed a new Jeldwin sliding patio door in my living room 2 years ago, with no problems. Always be sure you use a good caulking around and under the nailing flange, then more good silicone caulking along the edges of the flange after you are done. I prefer screws for this flange, so it will not creep out over time. Nails tend to release over a period of time.

My folks had new windows installed in our 107 year old home many years ago. When I installed new siding, you should have seen the terrible worksmanship of the carpenter from the local lumber yard. He barely nailed the flange along the edges, and none of the windows were plumb !!! On top of that, there was NO caulking anywhere.

I am guessing there is no caulking under or over the nailing flange. Where is the door leaking? If it is on the bottom, perhaps the drain holes in the bottom track are plugged. I had that problem with one window, where those crazy box elder bugs crawled inside, and plugged the drain holes, preventing the rain from draining away. Simple remedy....compressed air to blow the dirt out.

Please let me know. Glad to help, if I can. I live in Minnesota, and have been remodeling our 1900 model year home for the past couple of years, a little at a time. What a job, but I take my time, and do things right. You can never buy enough caulking, expanding foam, or insulation, to be sure everything is tight.

Good luck,

Rodney

Hi and thanks Rodney,
    I'll check to see if the flange is nailed.
    The leaking comes in over the fixed door.
    There is a transome above the main door frame, and the whole door is surrounded by a thin moulding frame. I don't think there was any caulking because early on, the water gushed/gushes in from the above frame piece; the top frame that goes across both halves--The sliding inside door, and the fixed outer glass door. Also, the little screws have loosend or come out, I had to screw them back in from the underneath inside track/frame part. Sorry I haven't looked these parts up as of yet--lately.
    We did apply some type of polymer caulking, but it hasn't worked.
    The door was installed by the builder's hired person...
    I don't think much of the builder...The house will be 2 in Aug 08
    Thanks very much for your helpful input.
    Sincerely,
    Zrose