+ Reply to Thread

Default What's the payoff on AFUE values?

My plumber is recommending a 120 BTU Burnham PVG-5 with an 85+ AFUE for my 3000 sq ft colonial on Long Island, NY. The natural gas company is supplying it at a reasonable cost. However, my research shows the Burnham Revolutuion II has an AFUE at 90+ and their CHG unit has a 94. The cost of those units are 1600 and 1800 dollars more respectively than the standard PVG. From any of your experience, is it worth the extra bucks for a higher AFUE which would equal savings on fuel? The plumber suggests it would take better than ten years to recoup the cost difference at todays natural gas prices. My question is, am I agonizing over this too much and should go with my plumbers suggestion or, in the long run, will the 5+ better AFUE make a difference? Thanks!

Default Re: What's the payoff on AFUE values?

Cost analasys wise yer plumber is right. Your main concearn, since you live in a place where it gets cold, is that all the parts need to be immediately availiable if it fails. Burnham's site markets the Revolution II as such but some components are proprietary therfore the concearn of available parts. The CHG is not a comparable size to the unit The plumber picked for you. CHG is only available in two sizes. And its output is probably more than you would use. Like driving a Porche In 2nd or 3rd gear.which would drop its efficiency.
    You could use the extra investment on a water heater that would complement the system and improve your overall system efficiency.
    We don't see alot of boilers here. In fact every time I see one I get exited and say to myself " Hey, cool a BOILER" seriously.
    Last edited by i.m.plummin; 04-29-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: addition information

Default Re: What's the payoff on AFUE values?

Thanks for the advice. With the cost of fuel rising with no end in site, I wanted to be sure I was doing the right thing.