+ Reply to Thread

Question Question concerning clapboards (help)

I am currently renovating a 70+ yr old house. The room I am currently working on has me a little stumped. After researching my problem I found that all the info was different from one person to the next. My question has to do with whether or not I need to do anything to the interior side of the exterior clapboards before I insulate the walls (ex. insul- paint). I have sealed all cracks and the clapboards are still in good condition. I plan to use paper faced bats of fiberglass insulation for the job, so do I need to place a plastic vapor barrier between the new insulation and the drywall? Also I might add that on top of the clapboards (exterior side) are the old asbestos type shingles, which I am not going to remove but rather cover at a later date with brick (lower lvl) and wood siding (upper lvl). The house is located in Sparta , TN. if that helps determine the solution.

Default Re: Question concerning clapboards (help)

Closed cell foam would be even better and would not require adding a moisture barrier. I would recommend using unfaced fiberglass bates. The paper facing is a medium for black mold to grow on if any moisture should get to it. Install the bats, then the plastic sheeting , and then the drywall. That prevents warm moist air from reaching the insulation.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Great tips JLMCDANIEL, I need to try this in one of my rooms as well. Thanks.
    New homeowner in need of Hidden Content assistance.

Thanks for the information, I'll give it shot.