+ Reply to Thread

Default Quiet Hot Water Heater

I'm considering adding a small hydronic heating system to my addition (<1000 sf) and am considering using a hot water heater as a supply. I'd like to use one unit for both hot water and heat due to space reasons. I currently have an A.O. Smith high efficiency unit. However, it is extremely loud with the blower. Due to it's location it is a real problem as it's off the family room.

I've seen a few option that claim to be very quiet such as Polaris and Heat Transfer Product's Phoenix. Both are very expensive but look quite robust. Anyone use either of these products or have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Default Re: Quiet Hot Water Heater

kjwilde:

Could you provide more info as to how the A O Smith system is set up??

You mention the "noise from the fan"---is this a fan on a heat exchanger that blows hot air into the addition??

There should be ways to work with the equipment you have now (such as adding a very quiet elec. pump to distribute the hot water to baseboard, etc) rather than going out & buying additional expensive equipment.

What type of convectors (heat units) do you have now: fan/coil heat exchangers, baseboard, radiant heat tubing, radiators???

Please post back.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 04-28-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Currently the hot water is used for hot water only. I'd like to combine it's usage to include radiant floor heat. The blower is for the exhaust and is mounted to the top of the tank: Extremely loud.

You'll have to get the installer in to service the noise on the power vent---if it's a recent install the work should still be under warranty.

I think the noise is just a charictaristic of the unit. The blower is mounted to the top of the hot water heater and is a ring type. I wouldn't expect it to be quiet.