+ Reply to Thread

Default removing baked-on paint from old glass panes

We have purchased a house where the previous owner decided to sell "mid-renovation". One of the projects left unfinished for quite some time was the painting of virtually all the windows. He painted many of the windows and neglected to sc**** them at all. Now there are thick strokes of paint on the glass panes and they have baked on over a long time. It took over an hour to remove the paint off of one window with a razor blade, and there are several dozen. Any advice on how to do it easier? Chemicals or other tricks?

Default Re: removing baked-on paint from old glass panes

Yeah, it's a pain, but the razor technique is still the best. Just pick a nice day, put on some tunes, and change blades when they get dull.

I agree, a razor blade is the best I've found. Be sure to get a good blade holder, one that won't slip with every other stroke. Might be a bit more expensive, but well worth it with that many windows. (Invite your new neighbors over and serve them lunch after they've sc****d some.)

You could try a paint sc****r with a new blade -- most any hardware store will have them, but I'd be concerned about scratching the glass.

Stick with the razor blade and elbow grease. I tried using goof off and "oops" and neither one really made much of a difference. I still had to work just as hard and long to get the paint off with the razor blade.

go to home depot and there is a section in their out door area in which you will find long handled brushes as well as a solvent used for cleaning windows, as well as squeeges, there in that area with all the window cleaning stuff you will find razors about 3 inches wide on a handle used by professional window cleaners and they will work much faster than a regular blade simply because of covering more area at a time