+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: historical preservation vs. staying warm

Quote Originally Posted by PlasterMaestro View Post
    Repair and maintain your old windows. The efficiency of well maintained old windows with wood storms is as good as any new window. The added benefit is that you or anyone can maintain them. The real problem is air infiltration not radiant loss. Tune your windows up with brass weather stripping, re-glaze them to keep the air movement at a minimum. That is where the real savings will be. Once you replace your window you have charted a path that means when these windows need fixing and they will they will have to be replaced. This is the same for you and any new owner that purchases your house. Permanent replacement windows means you have to keep replacing them permanently.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Original windows can be maintained & kept for as long as the structure lasts.

Vinyl is polluting the air during the manufacture process. They often cannot be repaired, they are expensive & can take over 15 years of energy "savings" (this is assuming the old windows are never maintained) to actually recoup the initial investment.

Replacements NEVER FIT your home the way originals do. They pop in the replacement & seal it with calking & cover up the edges with cheesy trimwork that is totally unlike the originals in your home.

I fixed (and am still fixing) mine....you can too.

Reglaze them...your house will be happier for it. It's been there long before you came along & will be there long after you're gone. Be a caretaker...not a destroyer.

This issue is so much more than an oil bill.
    The true Craftsman is nearly extinct,
    now it's just Made in China Hidden Content

Replacements may be viable here, but if you go that way save everything you pull out carefully and put it in the attic so that future owners have the option of a historical restoration if they want that.
    With me, unless a house/building is of great current historical significance, I tend toward the better performance and ease of maintenance you get with properly installed replacement windows. Your home, your choice.

Phil

I may be beating a dead horse, but it's a subject I'm passionate about.

You absolutely should save and maintain the original windows! Folks can argue about efficiency vs. replacements all day, but I have never heard of even a top of the line replacement lasting 50 years let alone the 200+ years yours have lasted.

Even with storms they may not be quite as efficient as an expensive replacement, but since when is a historic house judged first on it's ability to be the most efficient on the block??

Install the storms and restore the old windows. The ROI will be better and so will the resale value of the house.

(2 dropped)

Check out this link on the Bedford project.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/h...496798,00.html

You would be interested in episode 3106. You should be able to download the video of that show. It shows the restoration of the historic windows, and I agree with those who favor restoration over replacements.

After the old windows are tightened up, there are ways to make the windows more energy efficient than any replacement windows for less money. You have to take a tip from the oldest historical houses, interior shutters. With storm windows and interior shutters, you can see a total of R-5 at night, then open the shutters during the day and enjoy an actual heat gain from most windows with the most gain coming from the south facing windows.

I also strongly recommend the book "From the Walls In" by Charles Wing. He did a lot of research into why we build the way we do and why things were built the way they were in the past. He discovered a lot of lost technologies from the past. The book is no longer in print, but used copies are available on the internet. You might find a copy in your local library, that is where I saw and read it the first time. I have purchased two copies since, lost one and right now, I can't find the other.

From his research, he found that older houses with single pane glass, a little insulation in the attic and none in the walls typically lost about 30% of its heat through the roof, 20% through the walls, 20% through infiltration around windows and doors, 20% through the window glass and about 10% through the floor. He also found that older houses had up to 10 complete exchanges of air every hour, typical modern houses have about 4 exchanges per hour and some tight houses have 2 or less, but many of the tight houses also became sick houses. The book was written in the 70's and the technology for supertight houses was new at the time.

In the book, he has a design for interior shutters that is very efficient. The frames are made from 1x1 (1x2 for really large windows) and covered on both sides with a foil backed (on one side) paperboard with the foil surfaces facing each other. This creates the ideal 3/4" spacing between foil surfaces that results in a R-3 rating. If the paperboard is not foil faced, the R value drops to less than one. You can cover or paint the exteriors of the shutters as you wish.

You can also put a reflective film tint on the interior side of the storm windows to add a little extra R value, but it will also reduce the heat gain during the day.

Uninsulated walls have an R-5 value. Adding insulation does not always give the returns the homeowner expects, but I think it is still worth doing. It will however have the lowest ROI, but the ROI is usually acceptable. Just blowing insulation into the walls will bring it up to about an R-10 or R-11. About 10% of the wall is studs and the studs have about an R-5 value. The lower value of the studs compounds problem by pulling heat from the wall surfaces and conducting it around the insulation. But even then, R-11 is better than R-5, and the insulation reduces infiltration as well.

Pulling down the lath and plaster, installing fiberglass batts and a vapor barrier (and replacing any old wiring and pipes) and then covering with sheet rock will help a little more. Sheet rock has about half the surface conduction of plaster, the vapor barrier will reduce infiltration more and upgrading the wiring etc speaks for itself.

For the fastest paybacks (highest ROIs), I would start with a good layer of insulation in the attic. Then make the window interior shutters and weather strip the doors. The reason for doing this is to start saving as much money as possible to help fund the other upgrades. Then refurbish all the windows and storms and finally do the walls last.

Robb, I just went back and reread your first post, I forgot about that 1715 part. Your house might be post and beam. If you can see all the posts, then it might be possible that the plaster is applied directly to the exterior sheathing, but I don't think that was commonly done. There usually is a framed wall and a layer of interior sheathing on the inside and plaster applied to that.

There won't be traditional studs and stud bays. There will be support boards for both the interior and exterior sheathing and the support boards may be either vertical or horizontal. They are not load bearing and the spacing between them will be random, never standardized, which makes using batt insulation difficult.

Ripping into these walls may not be a good idea. Your best bet for the walls will be blown in insulation and I would suggest that you might look into a good quality, slow expanding foam. I would also look into treating the cavities with a sodium borate foam solution first, then do the blown in insulation.

Be very careful about what you use to sheathe the exterior, these walls are sensitive to moisture and must be ventilated. If you use a closed cell foam for insulation and treat the wood with a sodium borate solution first, they will be more tolerant of moisture, but I would keep them well ventilated anyway.