+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Repair of Hollow Core Door

My sister in law has a couple of hollow core doors that have holes in from door stops. The door stops were the ones mounted on the hinge and had rubber stops. The rubber stops came off and there are now approximately .25 diameter holes in 2 or 3 doors. Are there any easy repair options without having to purchase new doors?

Thanks,
    Brian in Ohio

Default Re: Repair of Hollow Core Door

Most hollow core doors have a very thin skin and no backing behind most of it. Under these circumstances filler is not likely to hold and the amount of work required to make a permanent repair would be grater than the value of the doors. Hollow core doors are pretty inexpensive.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I would have to agree with Jack. It would be difficult to make any kind of a patch that would be structurally sound as well as attractive. I think replacement of the door is the best option. You can buy a "Slab" door, and notch out the mortises for the hinges as well as drilling for the door handle and lockset. Use the current door as a template in order to get the hinge locations and door handle/lockset locations dead on. I know Home Depot sells the hinge template kit and you just need to mark where the hinges need to be, attach the template, set up a router with the included bit and rout away!
    Good luck!

I agree with the previous posts, it's faster and easier to replace the whole door than to try and repair it, especially if this is being done for hire.

However, with some time, patience, and the proper tools, one could drill out the hole to a corresponding dowel size, cut and glue a piece of dowel in the hole, sand flush, fill, sand, and paint. Odds are, there'll still be a visible spot on the door in the area of the repair, and it may be prone to cracking around the repair over time.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I haven't ever had call to try this, but..........if these are painted doors and a truly quickie fix is needed/desired.....could a guy ??? yank the hinge pins, lay the doors down flat.......*very* judiciously fill hole with Great Stuff, trim off the protruding excess once it's cured, fill the pits in the foam with wood filler, sand that a tad.......prime and paint. ????

Might work if......you don't mount those door stops again. If you do, it would likely compress the foam filler.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 04-23-2008 at 01:20 AM.

Down and dirty repair

With a probe through the hole poke a small hole on the opposite side of the door. take a wine bottle cork trim to fit hole but keep it longer than thickness of door. coat it with gorilla glue insert in hole pushing against other side of door. install a long narrow wood screw through hole on other side of door into cork. let dry. trim cork. patch with plastic wood filler over the cork and top of wood screw. paint.

This ranks down at the bottom of the dirty repair scale like using pepsodent toothpaste to repair nail holes in apartments to scam the landlord.

OK, OK, if you really don't want the work and you don't want to replace the doors go buy some brass striker plates and glue over the hole. You can replace the door when the door stop drives the striker plate through the surface.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    OK, OK, if you really don't want the work and you don't want to replace the doors go buy some brass striker plates and glue over the hole. You can replace the door when the door stop drives the striker plate through the surface.
    Jack
    I can do you one better! Go into the drawer guide/leg cap aisle and get self adhesive plastic discs. Peal and stick over the hole, fixed!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Drill a bunch more holes in the door. Fill door with Great Stuff thru holes. Now you have a vastly improved door which is not only stronger, but also more soundproof.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Drill a bunch more holes in the door. Fill door with Great Stuff thru holes. Now you have a vastly improved door which is not only stronger, but also more soundproof.
    I can do you one better ...