+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting old stained windows

We have an old sleeping porch with 12 double hung wood stained windows. I want to paint them because there has been some water staining on them and because I like the look. Anyway, I am not sure of the best technique to paint. If I remove them and paint all sides I am afraid that the extra paint will make the windows fit too tight to open. If I paint them in place they have a chance of sticking. So, what should I do?

Default Re: Painting old stained windows

Lots-o-work,

In years past, it was not uncommon to see the tracks of wooden windows to be left varnished even when the rest of the window was painted. This obviously limited the build-up of paint over the years.

If you decide to paint the track areas, I would suggest you paint them with spray cans of primer and paint. Sprayed paint leaves a much thinner film than does a brushed finish. Also, spray cans are normally oil paint. Oil paint is hard and slick, unlike latex paints. What ever you do, do not paint the tracks with latex paint! It has a thick, sticky quality which will interfere with the sash sliding up and down.

If you brush the tracks with an oil paint, make sure you move the sash a little each day for several days to assure that they don't get glued in place.

Freeing up the upper sash is usually somewhat difficult as it tends to get painted shut over the years. You must break the bead of paint from the outside if you want the upper sash to move. To properly paint a double hung window, it is desireable to get them to the point that they by-pass. If they don't by-pass you will have a difficult time painting the edge of the upper sash which shows when the lower sash is in the open position.

I would probably stay away from painting the tracks as even with 2 coats sprayed on that can still be enough to make the windows stick.

My suggestion is to prime and paint all areas except the tracks. Use an oil based primer and paint as this will yield the best results.

After finishing the painting move the windows up and down several times per day for a few days and you can then rest assured they won't stick in the future.

Best of luck!

Free Painting Bid-- When painters compete, you win.

Thank you both for the advice. Once more thing, if there is stain on the window do I need to sand it down before painting?

Usually a light sanding is all that is required then use a stain blocking primer like oil based Kilz or Bin to prevent any bleed through.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Lots-0-work,

One more possible solution is to line the wooden tracks with a track replacement system. See: www.WindowRenu.com

Thanks again everyone!