+ Reply to Thread

Question Flooring over existing floor

[I]I have wood floors, can I install engineered or floating flooring over existing wood floors?[/I]

Thumbs down Re: Flooring over existing floor

Quote Originally Posted by aserrano View Post
    [I]I have wood floors, can I install engineered or floating flooring over existing wood floors?[/I]
    Why would you do that. Have them refinished!!!! I suggest going the manufatures website they should have answers
    Harry

Default Re: Flooring over existing floor

Yes, as long as the existing floor is flat and stable, you can go over the top of it. The problem is the overall thickness of the floor in doing that. Transitions at carpet, tile, and vinyl will be more pronounced, creating a trip hazard. There could be other clearance issues as well that can't be foreseen without a site inspection and more information about the existing floor. If this is strip flooring out of the 50's, then it's likely got lots of squeaks and creaks to it, which won't go away by covering it up with another layer of floor. If it were me, I'd be inclined to remove the existing before installing the new, that is, if the existing is beyond refinishing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!