+ Reply to Thread

Default composite boards

has anyone installed composite boards for porch/deck? would like to know any problems if you have had it over a period of time.
    if you like it..what manufacturer? thanks

Thumbs up Re: composite boards

My dad purchased the composite gray boards from Lowes. I Installed them on his deck. We removed the old boards and re- installed the new composite boards. I spaced them 1/4" apart as they do not shrink. I would suggest you buy the suggested screws that sink below the surface for a better look and feel on your feet. The screws are self drilling and work great. But close to the ends of the boards I suggest drilling a pilot hole as the boards do split. I even ripped some boards on table saw and took a file and rounded over the edges to match the wider boards. you would never know it wasn't a factory made board. Great stuff!!! It hasbeen 4 years boards still look nice. Not shrinking, twisting, or hardware backing out!!
    Harry

Default Re: composite boards

We bought some from Home Depot...which is the same thing as Lowe's IMO. I havent had a problem at all in the past 3 years
    New homeowner in need of Hidden Content assistance.

A few of our friends have them installed and are happy with them. One suggestion I would make is that if you plan on running them diagonally, consider spacing your joists 12" apart rather than 16" apart. One friend ran them diagonally and used 16" centered joists and it is not nearly as solid as the other that used 12" centered joists.
    That 12" spacing for diagonal layouts may even be recommended, I am not sure and didn't take the time to google search before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    A few of our friends have them installed and are happy with them. One suggestion I would make is that if you plan on running them diagonally, consider spacing your joists 12" apart rather than 16" apart. One friend ran them diagonally and used 16" centered joists and it is not nearly as solid as the other that used 12" centered joists.
    That 12" spacing for diagonal layouts may even be recommended, I am not sure and didn't take the time to google search before posting.
    Trex, for one, states that any diagonally runs of composite decking MUST be built on 12" on center. The decking will sag without the proper spacing. Remember,plastic has no tensile strength.

We have the solid boards with the special screw through surface. I have since seen the kind that use clips screwed into the joists then the boards lock in so there are only screws on the last board. I would go that way as it looks great. I found I had to drill pilots on all the holes. The one thing I don't like is how dirty it gets and how hard it is to clean. Even after powerwashing at 2800 PSI it still doesn't look like new. I an trying to figure out how to wash it so it gets really clean.