+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Save the tree?

Question Save the tree?

I have a 50 year old house in Northern California that has an 80-100 year old oak tree within inches of the entry. The entry porch has a brick planter attached in front. The problem is that the tree has raised one end of the planter that also supports the porch roof so that the header is out of level by 1.75" in 7 feet. The fast and dirty solution is to trim one post just enough to level the header and let the planter and entry remain unlevel. The correct way would be to remove the tree and demolish the planter and entry and rebuild appropriately. What are the pros and cons?

Default Re: Save the tree?

The problem is, it's an oak tree, worse is that it's probably a Valley Oak, which is a protected species. What does this mean? Well, it means that you can't remove the tree without an anal probe by the municipality of your area to determine if the tree is imposing danger to you or your property. If the tree is within inches of your home, you will probably be able to have it remove, however if the tree is a few feet you'll find it near impossible to get a variance to remove it.

I too am a fellow Californian. I've got a valley oak 9 feet from my garage that I wanted to take down because it splits the fence line between me and the neighbor, and it's roots are under the garage and causing problems. The state wouldn't allow the removal of the tree.

Cool Re: Save the tree?

I think I would accommodate the tree. If that means you alter the planter box to arch over the root, then by all means do it.

I know the structural integrity of your porch is at stake but a little thought can bring harmony to your home and nature.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Default Re: Save the tree?

I have to agree with Debby. The whole porch could be razed and rebuilt in a few days but the tree..........
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb