+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Threaded View

  1. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Re-filling baseboard heaters???


    Hot water systems which have the old-style expansion tank between the floor joists above the boiler don't have bleeder valves on the radiators/baseboards.

    Instead, these systems usually have what's known as purge stations on the return piping of the boiler.

    If you have just one zone, you probably have just one purge station.

    They look like a regular faucet connection connected to a stop/shutoff valve on the same brass housing.

    The idea is to turn off the boiler switch, connect a length of garden hose to the purge valve, put the other end of the hose into a plastic bucket, shut off the main vent with the shutoff valve, & hit the "fast fill" on the pressure reducing valve, so that a lot of fresh water can run thru the piping, & drive the air out of the system.

    When the bubbles stop coming out of the garden hose, the air has been completely removed---your pressure gague should read ~12 to 15 psi on the pressure gauge when the boiler is cold.

    Google "purging air from a hot water system" (without the quotes) to get more info.

    The bell-gossett site below has photos of the different valves mentioned: click onto "homeowner" at the site, then scroll down & click onto "valves", then onto pressure reducing valve, fast-fill, "purging valve". etc.

    Post back if you need further help.

    Last edited by JacktheShack; 04-21-2008 at 11:07 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts