Want to see if a repair I did on a bathroom sink is up to code. The building is 145+ years old. Not too interested so much for inspection of this building, just want to know if this is a good tip to pass along.

Had to cut into the S trap pipe that goes into the floor because the nut on the end which ties into the S trap was corroded, leaked and needed replacing. Went to the local home remodeling store and the guy there recommended a metal flange that basically would sit on the floor and look like things were connected when I made the cut (the flange has 2 nuts on each end). He told me to cut the pipe close to the floor and slide the flange over the section.

But was not happy with this since it seemed the sink would leak where I cut the pipe since the flange did not tie into anything. So looked into getting a rubber joining piece, like they use on big drain pipes. But could not find one small enough for a 1 3/4 inch pipe (the smallest they had was 2 inches). So it dawned on me I could make the same thing out of a radiator hose and 2 radiator hose clamps.

Went to the auto store, bought a hose that was snug for on the new pipe, cut the old pipe about a foot from the floor, slid the hose over the old/new pipe and secured at both ends with the radiator clamps.