+ Reply to Thread

Default Flat hot water radiator -Where can I get one?

My 1939 house has hot water radiators. They are only 6" deep, and in the living and dinning rooms are recessed into the walls so I have no incentive to replace them.

HOWEVER I have a small bathroom where even 6" is too much. Your knee hits the end when you stand in front of the sink. I'm looking for a flat version that would replace the existing one. I think I have seen them in Europe but is there someone on the East Coast that carries them?

Default Re: Flat hot water radiator -Where can I get one?

Because bathrooms are so cramped for space, other space-saving options are usually used, such as kickspace heaters.

These are only 12" long X 4" high, connect to the hot water heat piping & have a little blower motor that quickly heats up the bathroom---they're so widely used & made by so many mfgs that they are low-price.

Kickspace heaters also have a built in thermostat to control output, which is important in bathrooms, where many people want extra heat to avoid feeling uncomfortable when coming out of a shower on a cold winter morning.

Some well-known brand sites are below, but off-brand units work just as well & usually cost lots less---click onto "products" when you get to the sites.

There are also european-style steel panel radiators (designer radiators) that may be carried by local suppliers (see also Mass. site below)---these tend to be very costly & most are not really designed for a bathroom.

Some suppliers also have 2' wide or 3' wide standard baseboard ganged 2 high or 3 high that will fit in a tight space---this can be a low-cost option if your supplier carries them.

Consult the Yellow Pages under "Heating Equipment--Parts & Supplies" for heating supply houses in your area.

All these units are sold by their btu/hour output---you should do a HEAT LOSS CALCULATIon of the bathroom (below) to determine how much heat you need in there.

If you take the sq.footage of the bathroom & multiply by 40 you should have a rough estimate (assuming 8' ceilings) of how much heat output you will need: thus a bathroom 10' X 10' = 100 sq.ft. X 40 = 4000 btu/hr needed to heat the bathroom---in the case of a bathroom, some people DOUBLE this number to make sure there is enough heat---some bathrooms are notoriously hard to heat.

At the beacon-morris site, click onto residential products, then onto twin-flo--beacon-morris also offers floor vectors & recessed units as space-savers.

Last edited by JacktheShack; 04-20-2008 at 06:55 PM.