+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Tankless Electric Water Heater

We went tankless 3 yrs ago when we moved and started a remodel. We put in 3. One in each bathroom, 1 in kitchen/shared with laundry. We love them. Only thing better would be solar. We broke them apart so we could have smaller units and the ability to run one off of a generator if needed. Plus all of our runs are short so no wait for heated water. If you are looking for a unit look for a brand name like Rinnai, Bosch etc. stay from unknowns.
    If you are thinking of Water Heaters there is only one I would recommend, that is MARATHON! These are top of the line. High price but worth it. If iI ever go back to tanks this is what I would install

Tankless water heaters make sense if you have frequent high demand or heavy demand at certain times but not much usage at other times. These heaters minimize heat loss through the insulation as occurs on standard tank type heaters. There is almost no standby loss with tankless heaters. But to increase your wiring from 4.5 KW for tank type to 36KW for tankless requires serious thought. This wiring often is larger than the whole house panel wiring for older homes. If it were me and I wanted to stay w/ electric water heating, I would replace with a tank type w/ 2 in. of foam insulation and over-insulate with a blanket kit to minimize heat standby loss. One major manufacturer of hot water heaters, both tank and tankless, states that their research has found that there is little difference in annual energy savings between the two for most residential users. If so, why pay the additional initial cost?

Good point on the insulation. Our home is 25 years old... how do I know what size wiring we have now in KW (that's different from the amps listed in the breaker box, right?) - Is it written somewhere on the wiring to the HW heater? Or on the wiring to the stove? Or does one tell by size?

We're only two here and don't use that much hot water - and the dishwasher heats it's own. There's tax credits for gas ones, but we'd have to have a gas line run - and the unit would have to be outside. But, we're in Virginia, so it doesn't often get real cold.

So, no one has used a Stiebel-Eltron... and the prices (I see from the link, thanks!) have come down on Bosch and others that Lowes carries. Wonder if there is still a tax credit?

OK... I'm just muttering to myself now, but if anyone has answers, I welcome them!

Sara

We have a 100 year old house with five bathrooms and other plumbing needs, laundry, kitchen etc., spread over 4 floors and 4500 square feet. Is it possible to use an on demand water heater or is the distance that the heated water will have to travel too far to stay hot, thereby making the on demand system a poor choice for our home.

The travel of the on-demand shouldn't be any different than what a tank has to travel.

But, with on-demand, you can use more smaller units closer to their use point with on-demand without having to install smaller tanks at each location.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sara View Post
    I spoke to a friend who said there had been a lot of fires started by the whole-house electric tankless heaters, but the gas ones were better.

I have (had) a Steibel Eltron Tempra 36. I installed it 2 years ago. It was correctly wired w/ 3 60-amp circuits, 6ga wire with ground.

Today, one of the circuit boards caught on fire. It was only by the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ himself that it happened when my girl was in the basement putting laundy in the dryer. I kid you not. The unit literally went POP and ignited when she was standing next to it, while the unit was not in use (no hot water being generated by the unit).

As flames were shooting out of the unit, she was able to get a fire extinguisher and put the fire out by completely drenching the unit.

Steibel-Eltron will warrantee the unit, but frankly I'm hesitant to install such a unit again. If my girl wasn't home today, I would have come home today to no home whatsoever.

Unfortunately, I do not have NG available, as I live in the boonies. I may switch to a Bosch AE125 instead.

Pictures of the charred Tempra-36:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ThisOldFarmhouse/TempraFire
    Last edited by vtwin@cox.net; 07-07-2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: photo link