+ Reply to Thread

Default Installation only of granite countertop

Hi...

I'm considering a quick spruce up on my Boston condo before selling, and am thinking of replacing my cabinets. I may have found a great deal on some (barely) used cabinets with a granite countertop.

Can anyone tell me:

1-Are there specific issues I should watch out for with precut granite?
    2-What might be the approx cost of installing a straight 112 inch run? (hopefully using the existing sink cut).
    3-If I do need to put 1 or 2 pieces together to make the run, is there some maxiums I should follow (ie kitchen triangle, don't put a carpet seam near a doorway, etc).

Thanks!
    Jen

Default Re: Installation only of granite countertop

most granite installers won't instal granite that you bought precut. the main reason is the liability issue as in if it breaks you will expect them to replace it and with a sink cut out in it that is always a possibility. if it was a top mount sink cut out of the granite you will notice that there isn't much left at the front and back of the cut out and that makes it extremely fragile. (which is the main reason most do cut outs in place rather then at the shop) also closely inspect the finished edges and maybe take a razor blade and lightly sc**** the finised edge and if a clear coating comes off then you don't want them. the reason is that most of the precuts come from out of the country from places with cheap labor and one of the ways they keep costs even further down is that instead of polishing them completly out is they use a color inhancer sealer to bring them all the way out, so in a few years when you wear through this surface sealer you will have a dull edge that then can only be made to shine if it is polished out like it should have been originally which is not cheap to have done once installed. if this isn't the case then repost and tell me exactally what is going on and what color and you may be able to do it your self with proper guidance.

Default Re: Installation only of granite countertop

closely inspect the finished edges and maybe take a razor blade and lightly sc**** the finised edge and if a clear coating comes off then you don't want them. the reason is that most of the precuts come from out of the country from places with cheap labor and one of the ways they keep costs even further down is that instead of polishing them completly out is they use a color inhancer sealer to bring them all the way out, so in a few years when you wear through this surface sealer you will have a dull edge that then can only be made to shine if it is polished out like it should have been originally which is not cheap to have done once installed
    Great thing to know.