+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: replacement windows: Anderson vs Marvin vs Pella?

I am evaluating windows for a new house so this discussion is interesting to me also. I have had Pella and Anderson before - no big problem with either. I am looking for any knowledge on inherent performance impact of the type of cladding for wood frame windows? Vinyl(e.g. Anderson and Pollard), rolled aluminum(e.g. Pella) or extuded aluminum(e.g. Mira Premium by PlyGem and SEMCO). Secondly, looking for comments on those particular examples. Thanks

May I suggest a couple of website visit:

The 2010 JD Power award went to vinyl window made by Simpco.

http://www.jdpower.com/Homes/ratings...nd-Patio-Doors

I would enjoy to learning the age of your home, architectural style, and how you view the return on your investment.

On 10/1/10, I did not place my order Marvin (Clad Ultimate) replacement windows after reading Marvin warranty and discovering: Marvin does not believe condensation in between dual panes of glass is a warranty issue. It is to me. It means a breach in the membrane—Argon is very slow moving gas.

Pella is the best window if you want the longest warranty, which is 20 years. The trim profile is minimal. Perhaps installing them were architectural value is not a critical factor in your building look is worth your money. I purchased 8 of them on the south side of my house, which faces the backyard. Further, Pella requires a Pella certified installer. Obviously, this plus their warranty makes Pella the highest price point windows.

About the cladding, it is my understanding that extruded aluminum is considered the better process for producing window cladding. My concern is the method the factory uses to seal and finish the cladding, as well as, the quality of the pine that is under the cladding.

p.s. my research showed that factories get their glass from Cardinal.Hope this is helpful.

I used to work in a Pella plant and was proud of the products we made. But after my parents put all pella windows in thier new house, I can say that the design is lacking something. At least on the proline models. My older house has several pella architect or designer series windows that seem good. None the less any windows that I am replacing now are likely to be Jeldwens.
    Last edited by chasrw07; 10-18-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: misspellings

Smile Re: replacement windows: Anderson vs Marvin vs Pella?

I just learned about a new replacement window with true divided light. I'm having them priced out my home in the moment of writing this post. I have not seen them, but felt like it was worth sharing.

http://www.weathershield.com

For older homes they offer a legacy line that has me very excited. I've specified Douglas fir and the 16 degree slope of my existing sills. So, far the company and staff seem happy to help.

Weathershield offers a 20 year warranty. Take a look at their website and see what you think. Unlike Pella and Marvin I could not find an ****** library with all of Weathershield's documents, but the sales woman is going to help me obtain their documentation.

Knowledge is power. Hope some of you find this helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Well fortunately for you living in the land of 10,000 lakes MN .... you have the advantage of being close to the factory for Marvin windows.

In my opinion they are a superb product and being where you are would be an advantage with any issues that may come up with that brand.

Just a thought.
    Thanks, Canuk. But that doesn't narrow it down as much as you might think--Anderson Windows is located in Minnesota too!

Howdy, consider educating yourself about the ratings of the windows there are many different ones available from the manufacturer. The one i judge windows by mostly is "AL" air infiltration. Best is .1 as least air to .3 most air transfer.
    Another consideration is what type of exterior finish for long like and least care. The fiberglass finish is the most energy efficient- least heat transfer an lasts a long long time. Another issue is what type of opening again check the AL it varies greatly depending on how the window opens. And finally if you do only the replacement inserts you may have voids in the walls around the windows if they had the old weights in a chase to aid in opening and closing the window. This can be addressed by adding insulation ( spray foam is my first choice) or the more costly removal and replacement of the entire window unite. Hurry to get the $1500 rebate from Federal tax credit as it expires in DEC.

I replaced all 27 of my windows with Jeld Wen custom wood windows. I'm very happy with them. For whatever reason, they blew away the price of the Marvin/Andersen/Pella windows.

I'm in a historic district in DC, so we're required to get wood windows. Almost every historic rehab I've seen has been sporting new Jeld Wen windows.

At the end of the day 'you' have to be happy with your selection of windows that fit the look you want and the price that works.

Glad to hear the Jeld Wen did the trick for you. Their a nice product.

Quote Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
    I replaced all 27 of my windows with Jeld Wen custom wood windows. I'm very happy with them. For whatever reason, they blew away the price of the Marvin/Andersen/Pella windows.

I'm in a historic district in DC, so we're required to get wood windows. Almost every historic rehab I've seen has been sporting new Jeld Wen windows.
    Hidden Content (and the surrounding cities of: Largo, St Petersburg, Clearwater, etc...</a>

Exclamation Re: replacement windows: Anderson vs Marvin vs Pella?

let me warm you about Andersons "sales" people. I requested a quote for Renewel by Anderson. When the lady called to set up the appointment, she asked me if I was married, I told her NO. She then asked if I has a girlfriend, partner or anyone else who lived in the house? I though the Q was strange, but answered with yes, I have a partner named Kenneth. She then said, oh good, I will let the forman know. I then questioned her about the forman. I told her that I needed a sales person, not a forman. She stated that they are sales people. Anyway, when it came time for the appointment, a guy showed up (parked in my driveway blocking one of our cars) and came inside. He was acting really strange and out of place, he did not introduce himself and say anything about what I was needing (mind you that the lady appontment setter had asked what I was wanting done). I then asked him what does he have? his response was "i dont know, you called us"...okay, I was really taken back by that comment, but, went ahead and walked the house and showed him all my windows and large doors looking to be replaced. Most likely, this would have been a 50 to 60K job. Then when we got done with the walk around, he ask me where Kenneth was? I was again taken back by that questioned, but responded with, "he is in the back office, but will not be attending this meeting". The sales guy then said, well maybe we need to re-schedule. I thold him NO, we are not rescheduleing and that he will deal with me since I own the house. The sales guy then asked me a question about my big black Caddiliac that was parked out side. He was asking me who made the decision to buy that? I told the sales guy that it was non of his business and that I am not having him here to ask me questions about my caddiliac. He then demanded that Kenneth attend the meeting or else he was going to call his office because that is thier policy. I told the sales guy to get out of my home immediatly. He then refused and said NO, I will call my office and you can speak with them. I told the guy, you get out now or I physically throw you out. The sales guy grabbed his breif case and yelled at me, "we are the largest window company in the USA, your making a big mistake"....I told the sale guy from Renewel by Anderson that he was poor sales guy and that if this is any refelction of the company, I want nothing to do with either!! I was very angry. The nerve of this sales guy and most of all, the nerve of Renewel by Anderson to train thier sales staff in the tactics!!! my word of caution to anyone seeking Renewel by Anderson, DO NOT HAVE THEM COME TO YOUR HOUSE unless you are prepared for 60 minuted of sale tactic BS...lucky for me, I sniffed this idiot out the first 5 minutes and he was out the door in 7 minutes.

For me, I prefer using Anderson. Nice quality and more durable...