+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default replacement windows: Anderson vs Marvin vs Pella?

I am replacing many of the windows on a 100-year-old foursquare in Minnesota.

I am just starting to learn about windows and comparing the leading brands. What are the differences between Anderson, Marvin and Pella in terms of performance, energy efficiency, installation/customer service and aesthetics?

Right now they kind of all look the same to this uninformed homeowner.

Default Re: replacement windows: Anderson vs Marvin vs Pella?

Well fortunately for you living in the land of 10,000 lakes MN .... you have the advantage of being close to the factory for Marvin windows.

In my opinion they are a superb product and being where you are would be an advantage with any issues that may come up with that brand.

Just a thought.

Thanks, Canuk. But that doesn't narrow it down as much as you might think--Anderson Windows is located in Minnesota too!

I had Anderson windows installed in my last house and I chose them because they aren't pure vinyl nor wood. They are a combination of both. Most vinyl windows feel cheap to me. The Anderson's felt substantial. I also liked that their windows are "fusion welded" at the corners rather than screwed together. That would help to keep them from racking over time.

A few other things that I would like to point out are...

1: I compared my July electric bill to the previous year's bill after having the windows installed and it literally dropped by half and I kept the house cooler the year after I had them installed. The previous year I was taking care of my mother and she got chills easily so I kept the house warmer.

2: One summer evening I took my dog out for a bathroom break in the back yard and I noticed a droning sound. I looked around and saw red lights flashing in my neighbor's windows so I walked to my front yard and there was a diesel fire truck idling along with a diesel ambulance and I didn't hear either of them inside the house. With the original windows, I would have certainly heard them.

Just my $.02

Marvin or Andersen are good windows.
    Pella has a good marketing department, but service leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Chore Boy View Post
    Thanks, Canuk. But that doesn't narrow it down as much as you might think--Anderson Windows is located in Minnesota too!
    My bad ... I didn't realize that

I've had experience with the Marvin's.

All 3 manufacturers make a high quality window.

That being said, I've had the most experience with Andersen. I've never had a problem with them. The few times that I needed replacement sashes, hardware, or screens, they were all readily available. The only downside from my point of view was the lack of options. My line of work has been new construction and room additions. Years ago I did primary window replacements (not your typical "inserts". Andersens weren't as friendly in this respect, trying to match sizes to existing windows, etc. Andersen's come in a wide range of stock sizes and can usually be found with a relatively short lead time.

Marvin Windows, on the other hand are all made per job. There really is no such thing as a "stock" window, so lead times can be longer. On the plus side, I haven't found a better built window for the residential market. There is a wide variety of options available (casings, sills, etc) and since Marvin windows are made to order, custom features aren't that big of a problem. They are pricey, however.

I haven't had a lot of experience with Pella windows, though I've installed them a few times. Never had any real problems with them. I just preferred the Andersens.
    HTH

Dave

I live in Minnesota also in fact anderson window is right down the road from me. I have seen local commercials that advertise that anderson offers a replacement windows to exact sizes needed. They are the installation comapny also of this service. check them out.
    I have also been on there website for replacement parts and they have all detail specifications for windows dating back to day one. My parts were delivered in a couple days. They had a great customer service department that I called the part into. No I do not work for Anderson

Although I cannot give you advice on which choice is best for you, I can advise you to stay away from Pella. I've experienced MANY problems with my Pella Architect Series windows and doors (cladding problems, seal failure, rotting wood, spotted glass etc.) installed throughout my home in 1995. Pella denies responsibility for these issues. Please check out this website, detailing the various window and door failures/defects in my home: www.******litigationdiscovery.com I'm interested in hearing any similar stories regarding problems with Pella on my website. Thanks for your time! -A. Bailey

i install quite a few windows a year, with my experience id say anderson is probably at the top. Martins are really good. ive run into problems with pella's, though a good product i dont like their nail flange design as it makes for more work to properly seal the window. as of late i have been installing mostly peter kohler windows.

on the topic of energy efficiency, no matter what the brand or material the window is made of it can only perform as well as the installation. i've seen top of the line windows installed with nothing more than some screws and some red tape to seal the flange and these windows were really drafty. the way i install windows involves creating a drip pan on the sil with either blueskin or Grace vycor, then the window gets set into a bead of poly butyl window/siding caulk (flex) from there the nailing flange gets sealed on the sides and top with 4" Vycor and then the top gets a metal head flashing installed set into a bead of caulking as well
    fire up the saw and make some dust