+ Reply to Thread

Default Sealing a large basement crack.

HI there. I know that this is a reaccuring question but i would appreciate some help with my basement problem.
    I have found a river flowing from under my drywall and removed it to find a massive crack, well not much of a crack but disintegrating concrete...there are crack leading off this one in the picture. someone in all there wisdom tried filling the cracks with expanding window foam?
    How would i go about sealing these up...i could fill it with hydraulic cement, but would that just stop it right at the surface?
    how would i fill the smaller cracks?
    hope you guys can help me out here.
    cheers
    Bryan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0374.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	1009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	1010  

Default Re: Sealing a large basement crack.

Bryan,
    Obviously, you'll first need to remove all of the expanding foam that was put in there. Next step is to chip out, in a "V" each crack. Fill with hydraulic and when dry, I recommend coating with at least 2 coats of Dryloc. This method worked for us. It's also a good idea to make sure any runoff from gutters, etc. is directed away from the foundation of the home. We left the areas in question open for a good month through lots of rain to make sure they were sealed before we re-hung drywall. Good luck!