+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Smile plywood floor on porch

Good evening, we have placed 1/2 inch plywood flooring over an existing porch floor. I wanted to prime it and paint it. Is this feasible. Our porch floor is open to winter with lots of snow. I would appreciate some imput on this subject.

Bev

Default Re: plywood floor on porch

I wouldn't think so. Plywood isn't that great when subjected to lots and lots of water.

But then again they make boats out of plywood.

Sorry, I just don't know. If you want to try it, find marine grade finishes
    Debby in Oklahoma

Smile Re: plywood floor on porch

I spoke with a paint dealer and it was suggested that I go ahead with oil based Porch Floor paint using two coats.....no primer required seeing as our porch has a roof. When finished we will use a rubber runner topped with a carpet runner to the door to prevent slipping with snow or wet footwear.

Thanks anyway Debbie.

Bev

Unless you seal every microscopic bit of that plywood with paint, primer, or some other sealant (and keep doing so) you WILL have water issues. We are talking bulging, separation of layers, warping, peeling and eventually rotting. Now, if it's treated plywood you won't have those problems, but your paint will react with the preservative and you'll probably be painting to cover the discoloration.
    I think Deb is right. A marine sealant is probably your best bet, especially if you'll be dealing with snow.
    Good luck though!

Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    I spoke with a paint dealer and it was suggested that I go ahead with oil based Porch Floor paint using two coats.....no primer required seeing as our porch has a roof. When finished we will use a rubber runner topped with a carpet runner to the door to prevent slipping with snow or wet footwear.

Thanks anyway Debbie.

Bev
    If you go this route .... you better do the underside of the plywood and all edges as well .... otherwise the plywood will rot from the underside a lot sooner than expected.

Just a thought.