+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Cost to completely rewire an old house?? Is it worth it?

I would guess that because the electric has been disconnected for a year it will have to be brought up to code before you can get service restored. I would think that $16K for the complete rewire to current code requirements of a three story 3700 sq. foot house would be a "get yourself in the door" low estimate.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

There's a lot of unknowns here .

The mention of conduit seems to indicate the wiring is somewhat modern vintage.... granted could be two conductor.

The seller may be indicating for $3000 to bring it up to code might only be a new service panel and 2 or 3 GFCI plugs.

The mention of quotes from other contractors may have been sight unseen thinking because of the age of the home requires rewiring.

The original point I made about having the seller do it was to see if he was simply bluffing and to call him on it .... there are plenty of sellers that will say anything for the sale.

Exclamation Re: Cost to completely rewire an old house?? Is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    ***, that must keep a lot of Sparkies on the job.
    What is the reasoning behind it?
    Its not like Romex is unsafe and all that.
    What I have been told is there is strict fire code because of the Great Chicago fire. What I do know is there is a electrical board in Cook county (City of Chicago) that has to approve all devices that are installed in That County. The people on the board are union electricians. Other smaller villages and towns adopt some of the same requirements

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    There's a lot of unknowns here .

The mention of conduit seems to indicate the wiring is somewhat modern vintage.... granted could be two conductor.

The seller may be indicating for $3000 to bring it up to code might only be a new service panel and 2 or 3 GFCI plugs.

The mention of quotes from other contractors may have been sight unseen thinking because of the age of the home requires rewiring.

The original point I made about having the seller do it was to see if he was simply bluffing and to call him on it .... there are plenty of sellers that will say anything for the sale.

Canuk
    We seem to always agree!! Good call

Question Re: Cost to completely rewire an old house?? Is it worth it?

Hi all, I'm new here, and in contract to buy my first place. In the SF Bay Area this is a feat I am proud of! Thing is, I'm finding out rapidly that I may have to run screaming from this home instead of signing documents.

The place is a 1908 (09?) Victorian duplex in Oakland, CA in which I am potentially purchasing the upper story. There are existing wood floors and paneling, 12' ceilings, plaster walls, and knob and tube wiring. (the foundation is old and is being inspected as I type - off topic) After reading here and realizing the potential costs and insurance problems, how much could this run to replace in the near future? (I understand that these are guesses only) It has a 60 A service with circuit breakers, there is no basement - just a crawlspace, and is ~1400 sqft.

With the expected seismic retrofit work, I fear the price tag you all will guess for me. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Greetings, Been reading thru the msgs. above, and I also seek your input/comments. My parents' home is 80 yrs. old, w. orig. armored "BX" wiring. It's a 2. 5 story bldg,attic-to-bsmt. finished as living spaces. In 1960's the orig. fuse-box was upgraded to six 15 AMP breakers (100A main), plus sep. 20A line to garage/workshop (sep. from house). And in 1977, a 30A 220V line for 25,000 BTU A/C unit. I replaced all single-outlet 2-prong recep. in 1991 with dual 3-prong gnd'd. recep. All tested OK with polarity checker.

Everything works fine, but three upstairs rooms are on one ckt. Sometimes, the wife's hair-dryer will trip the brkr. if small A/C unit is running.

Given the age of home, should I consider the major expense of rewiring the home , if I plan to sell it in next 2-3 years?
    I appreciate and will take your professional opinions into consideration. - "Tesla"

Quote Originally Posted by jt_macks View Post
    The house is about 3700 square feet w/3 stories. The owner (who is an electrician that lives in another state) says it can be replaced for about $3000. I've talked to some contractors....they say at the very least $16,000, but probably closer to $30,000. My question is...Who is taking me for a ride? The owner or the contractor? Is anyone out there that has faced similiar problems?
    I own an electrical contracting company in Los Angeles that specializes in rouse re-wiring. If this house has electrical conduit, our price for a complete re-wire would be $4 per square foot X 3,700 feet = $14,800. At 3,700 sq feet, if it doesn't already have one already, this house will need a 200 amp main electrical service. That will cost an additional $2,300. So the total will come to $17,100. Also, be sure you know what condition the plumbing is in - has it already been re-piped with copper?

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Greetings, Been reading thru the msgs. above, and I also seek your input/comments. My parents' home is 80 yrs. old, w. orig. armored "BX" wiring. It's a 2. 5 story bldg,attic-to-bsmt. finished as living spaces. In 1960's the orig. fuse-box was upgraded to six 15 AMP breakers (100A main), plus sep. 20A line to garage/workshop (sep. from house). And in 1977, a 30A 220V line for 25,000 BTU A/C unit. I replaced all single-outlet 2-prong recep. in 1991 with dual 3-prong gnd'd. recep. All tested OK with polarity checker.

Everything works fine, but three upstairs rooms are on one ckt. Sometimes, the wife's hair-dryer will trip the brkr. if small A/C unit is running.

Given the age of home, should I consider the major expense of rewiring the home , if I plan to sell it in next 2-3 years?
    I appreciate and will take your professional opinions into consideration. - "Tesla"
    Howdy, the load from the hair dryer ( hair dryers now really draw allot of currant )is more then the circuit can handle with the ac on. If the hair dryer is used in a bath wired with the other rooms then consider running a 20 amp circuit to this bath and nothing else on this new circuit other then the bath light if you want= Code. to. Or get a much less demanding hair dryer and it might not trip.

Quote Originally Posted by atomica View Post
    Hi all, I'm new here, and in contract to buy my first place. In the SF Bay Area this is a feat I am proud of! Thing is, I'm finding out rapidly that I may have to run screaming from this home instead of signing documents.

The place is a 1908 (09?) Victorian duplex in Oakland, CA in which I am potentially purchasing the upper story. There are existing wood floors and paneling, 12' ceilings, plaster walls, and knob and tube wiring. (the foundation is old and is being inspected as I type - off topic) After reading here and realizing the potential costs and insurance problems, how much could this run to replace in the near future? (I understand that these are guesses only) It has a 60 A service with circuit breakers, there is no basement - just a crawlspace, and is ~1400 sqft.

With the expected seismic retrofit work, I fear the price tag you all will guess for me. Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Howdy sounds like a great house but the electrical service is to out dated. Check with you homeowners insurance to see if they will even insure it with knob and tube wiring before you close - if you still buy. Be sure to have the roof inspected prior to closing too- may need a new roof . Might want to and check the utility bills for the past 3 years will give you an idea if there is any insulation in the building. or another biggie is the furnace if it is old then you have a whole bunch of likely expenses to consider. Maybe the seller will eat allot of the needed upgrades..... Best of futures in owning a home.

Hey, not even sure I'm on the right post, but, here goes. Have the chance to buy home of my dreams, but, soooooo green. Know the house has'nt been lived in since the 1970's. How much rewiring am I lookin at? Thanx!