+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Cost to completely rewire an old house?? Is it worth it?

Not much to go on --- chances are bathroom(s) and kitchen plugs should be seperate 20 amp circuits GFCI protected. The home may even have aluminum wiring which should be checked over.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

i have an old house,its wireing is 2 wire ,strung on insulators
    is that still in code??

In Atlanta the old homes do not have conduit. Generally, the cost to rewire is $9,000 - $20,0000. It really depends on where you live and what you get. A 3,700 sq' house would be closet to 20k.

The 3k figure is a joke. The material alone is 3k.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonxv View Post
    i have an old house,its wireing is 2 wire ,strung on insulators
    is that still in code??
    Yes, Knob and Tube wiring is still governed by the electrical codes.

Interesting side note --- around here insurers are forcing Knob and Tube to be taken out of service. Whether or not the homeower is living in the home or the purchase a home , it's no longer acceptable or grandfathered --- it has to be replaced or no insurance.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by milcliar View Post
    Hey, not even sure I'm on the right post, but, here goes. Have the chance to buy home of my dreams, but, soooooo green. Know the house has'nt been lived in since the 1970's. How much rewiring am I lookin at? Thanx!
    Check with your local building dept. if the house has sat vacant for nearly 40 years you with no utilities you may have to bring all systems (water, electric, and sewer) up to code to get an occupancy permit and have the utilities turned on.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The "how much" question is really hard to answer even if you are in the same state down the street and on the phone half the time, to ask here is even harder.. there is soooo much that goes into a price and so many things that change from house to house and person to person not to mention state to state.

As far as "what will it take to rewire a house .. well

why does it need to be rewired?
    Is there a risk associted with leaving it be?
    Can that risk be managed while a structured remidiation be made to the existing wiring over a longer period of time?

My advice is to take your time, get a detailed list of what needs to be corrected and WHY, unfortunately there are many people in the electrical trade who will just say the whole house needs to be rewired either because they want the money or they dont understand the actual risk and how to manage it.
    For instance, if you have knob and tube the best thing to do is replace it, but it can be done in steps while manageing any risk associated with it. start by updateing the service and grounding, rewire the three ways and add afci protection. Then either room by room or circuit by circuit over time address the rest of the house. Granted I would make sure after the first part all the televisions and computers and the like were on surge protectors and the smokes were working etc (hence manageing the risk)
    In my area I would charge around 3-4 k for the first part and do 0ne circuit a month for a few hundred bucks(+ or -) untill the rest of the house is complete, in the long run this would cost more sometimes maybe 30% more. but its often easier then dishing out 12-15k all at once. that being said I do get a lot of small and medium size houses with open basements and attics then I can do in 2 or 3 days and have done entire houses as low as 5k.

There have been a few cases where I documented our course of action and got a signed contract to do the work over a long period with set amounts to be paid monthly and the insurance companies extended a huge discount after the first month when the home owner showed them the work that was completed and the contract we had. In one case the insurance savings paid most of my monthly bill.

Even aluminum wiring doesnt necessarily need to be completely rewired, in my opinion, there are ways to manage the risk and and have a completely trouble free home for decades.

The only time, again in my opinion, I would say complete removal all at once is really a good idea is when there is a lot of bx (without an egc) and there is any probability of a fault current on the outer jacket. I consider that a worse risk even then say knob and tube covered in insulation. But even then there are options to manage the risk if your financial situation warrants it.

In a nutshell

Total rewiring isnt always needed (and in my experience usually not unless there is k&t or bx), when it is, it doesnt always have to be RIGHT NOW (and usually doesn't).

but alas I am just some guy on the internets ...
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

The 1950 house I lived in had conduit in the original portion of the house, while the addition had romex. Having conduit reduced our costs of having the house rewired. Back in 1996, it costed me around $4000 to rewire my house. It was only around 1400 sq.ft.

So for a 3700 sq ft home in 2010, I would say it's at least $17,000, but might be less if the house has conduit and doesn't need additional taps into the conduit.

My Grandmother's 1950 ranch house also has conduit, and that is what saved her house from an electrical fire. The fire was contained in the conduit. It sparked somewhere in the middle of the conduit and not at the outlet or the circuit breaker. Since that time, any house I have rewired will contain conduit as part of a general remodel job. I don't like romex simply because I risk damaging it with anything I might nail into the wall. Also, since the wiring isn't shielded by any metal, if it goes bad, then the risk of fire increases. Not against anyone who chooses romex, but I'd rather spend extra to reduce risk of an electrical fire spreading. But also if a house needs rewiring later on, it costs less to rewire a home.

There are pros and cons with conduit.
    In our part of the world conduit makes perfect sense for protection of wiring that is surface run. Electrical wiring that is encased in non-metallic sheath has been and still being used since the beginning of time. For the most part there isn't much issue or fault with NM or Romex in themselves, other than the pitfalls of the exposed splices of knob and tube or some uncommon mishap damaging the hidden wires , overloading , or improper installation.
    The fact the wiring is encased within conduit doesn't prevent or guarantee improper connections at a device or overloaded circuits.
    The mention from the previous post of the grandmother's older home and the issue with a electrical fire inside the conduit leads me to believe perhaps over the years that wiring had been overloaded and deteriorated which eventually would have catastrophic failure. Fortunately in her case it was contained within the conduit and not allowed to spread within the walls , which is one benefit of the conduit.
    Which raises the question of how far does one have to go in safe guarding against improper use and uncommon mishaps --- but I digress.

As for rewire , yes conduit is generally easier to pull new wires. However, if an older home with conduit is being rewired , the home likely needs to be brought up to modern codes. This usually means additional circuits and things like additional receptacles in kitchens and bathrooms for example. Now it becomes more difficult and expensive to install conduit into existing walls. Keep in mind that conduit ( or EMT ) is not flexible therefore, where it may only require small holes to run NM or Romex it will require larger and more holes to install rigid conduit.

The cost of having your house rewired by a professional electrician depends can vary considerably depending on how many fittings you require, the layout and size of the house and ease of access (particularly if rewiring).
    As for me a complete rewiring of 3-bedroom house with a garage cost me about $4000.

Thanks for your comments/advice. Home has 100A mains,brkr.panel inst. in 1965. Includes 30A-220V breaker for 23,000 BTU A/C in LR
    (c. 1977).

To add extra outlets and ckts in the rooms, is it necessary to cut into walls (plaster/lath),route the addt'l/new BX-cable,and tie into main panel ? Bathroom,kitchen,& upstairs BR's need extra outlets big-time. Existing wiring is fine,but as prev. mentioned, only one major appliance is useable in BR's/bath w/o tripping the ckt. My goal is to have each room on its dedicated brkr,as with newer homes. House is 2-1/2 story,finished bsmt/attic,trad.gable-end roof. Pre WW2 full-dimension constr.
    Three bedrooms,attic consid.4th BR. Kitchen,1.5 baths,laundry,workshop,sunporch,storage room,garage,etc.

....Will this break the bank ? RSVP with your suggestions. In NJ,does licensed electrician need to perform the work? Inspection following by local officials ? Thanks, -J-
    Last edited by Tesla; 04-26-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: addt'l. text