+ Reply to Thread

Cool "Anodized" aluminum

Wha exactly is "Anodized aluminum ? I have some tub and tile cleaner that states not to use on anodized aluminum. I have shower doors from Menards under $150.00 . The frame, etc is a brass-colored aluminum.

Rich Kelly

Default Re: "Anodized" aluminum

Anodizing uses an electro-chemical reaction to color the metal, whereas your typical shower door is plated with a chrome or **** colored layer. Double check the label on that cleaner, you may find that it isn't suitable for caulking either.

Don't use the cleanser, you have anodized aluminum shower door frame.

Anodized Aluminuim is a plating process. to make it simple it is a plating that fills the porous suface of aluminum to keep it from oxidation. They also use a process called dip brazing to close these porous surfaces. In your case it is used to keep the aluminum filling up with soap scum and turning a ugly white color. It also gives a good surface for plating the aluminum. This allows the chrome or **** to be applied to a smooth surface free of pits. I only know this because I worked maintaining a plating line. The bottom line is todays cleaners work like etching solutions and can remove the chrome plating. I had a freind that had a clear glass shower enclosure. The cleaner etched the glass and made it milking in appearence. He wrote to the manufacture and they paid to have the glass replaced.... One for the little guys
    Last edited by Ravens53; 04-15-2008 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks for your replies... djohns, your link didn't work. I will try to enter it manually later.
    As for "etching", you are probably quite right, as this cleaner is an "Easy Off" product called "BAM Grime & Lime Remover". To me, EASY OFF = Oven Cleaner / harsh products. I will keeep this in mind next time I grab something off the shelf.

It appears that the link is dead . Sorry .