+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting Exterior Trim

My question is how to cover up rusted nail heads so that when you prime and paint them the rust does not show back up in about 6 months. Last time I painted I sanded the rusted nail heads primed and put two coats of paint on just to have the nail heads show back up. I am using high quality exterior paint and primer made by Porter. Can someone please give me a solution to this problem because nothing sucks worse that putting in good prep work before painting just to see it fail in a few months.

Default Re: Painting Exterior Trim

Abrown,

I am assuming that the primer you used was oil based. Many painters also use oil based aluminum paint to seal in rusty nail heads.

Behr's new Ultra Exterior Paint claims that it will stop minor rust bleed from nail heads. It uses new "nano" technology which forms such a dense paint film that rust has a difficult time working to the surface. This same dense film makes the paint inherently resistive to mildew penetration, although all Behr paints also have chemical mildew retardants.

The Nano technology also makes Ultra self-priming. New wood or wood bared by sanding and scrapping needs to be two coated, but the paint itself is used, rather than a dedicated primer. Primeing of existing paint which is in good condition is not neccessary, except as required for significant color change.

I used this new Ultra paint on a sun pergola I built last year in my garden. After the first Oregon winter, it is still bright white with no sign of mildew or algae, even though it is partially in the shade and under cedar branches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new fence 003.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	2621  

Post Re: Painting Exterior Trim

We recessed all nails and filled with spackling before painting with primer/sealer. It was still good when we repainted about 10 years later.

"...Behr is a lower quality paint, it is a thinner paint which doesn't hold up as well and the bonders and pigments aren't as good"

J,Kirk, And your empirical evidence for such a statement is what?
    Behr paint uses exclusively resins supplied by Rohm and Hass, the world's leading manufacturer of such resins. Behr uses 100% Titanium Oxide as its basic white pigment. No cheap silicas, calcium carbonate or other such fillers are used.

As a painter contractor for almost half a century, I can anecdotally tell you that I find Behr to be a fine product overall and unbeatable on a price point! Were it not so, I wouldn't be using it on my own home!

As to using paints from the major manufacturers: I would caution that all the majors make multiple lines, from contractors "crap" to excellant products. It behooves the customer to be aware of what line he is buying. The sales people at the local paint store can advise as to what quality is being bought. During my many years of contracting, Benjamin Moore was my major supplier. I can tell you first hand that much of their line is not quality, but is intended to meet a price point. Much of Moore's line is very good, but at a really premium price. Their new Aura paint retails for over $50 per gallon, yet rates no better than Behr, according to Consumer's Report!

Behr's position is to produce a really quality product at and attractive price. There are not multiple lines. Rather, its' second tier Premium Plus line was its top of the line until the recent introduction of its' new Ultra line. There is no contractors "crap' line!

Amen

J,Kirk,

Were we talking of the Behr of 15-20 years ago, I might agree with you. I personally had a less than satisfactory experience with Behr myself back then. But the Behr of today is a really quality product

Contractors are creatures of habit. I was quilty of this myself. You are familiar with the idiosyncrasies of a particular paint and are comfortable using it. As stated, during my contracting years, I was mainly a user of Ben. Moores'. If I might make a confession, I often used Moore's when I felt there was really a better product out there, but the customer wants to see a big name brand and you humor them!

One area which might give painters aggravation is that Behr chooses to make its Ultra Pure White exactly that. There is NO colorant in it. UPW is used as a tinting base too. If it is used straight out of the can, its blanking ability is sacrificed. As you know, a few drops of lamp black and/or raw umber greatly increases blanking. Pure white was only used by me when the trim came in contact with pure pastels color, so as not to look gray next to them.

Behr's Ceiling White is also pure white, unlike most manufacturers who put lamp black or even blue in it to make it appear whiter than it is. Behr does sacrifice some blanking ability to obtain this pure, bright ceiling white which will be at home next to bright, light wall colors.

Rather than accepting broad generalizations and anecdotal judgements, I would encourage contractors and consumers to be open minded. There are many rating companies out there, including Cunsumers Union, who test paints against standards of performance. Behr consistantly does very when in these tests, especially at its price point.

Amen