+ Reply to Thread

Question I had water in my basement...is it safe now?

Hi there! Forgive my lack of correct terminology but I am not handy around the house. Part of that is because I am a woman and the other part is no one has ever taught me.

My basement is unfinished. There is a drain in the middle of the floor with a small metal cover with holes in it. It got clogged...I have no idea how, but the water backed up and got everywhere. I literally used a plunger and the drain immediately opened back up and the water drained. The problem is I have a huge carepet that is laid on the floor just for added warmth. The carpet is wet. This all happened this last Saturday and now it smells musty and I'm wondering if it's moldy. I'm scared to even be in my basement now because of breathing mold. I don't know what to do and if my basement is safe.

I would appreciate any help you can offer me.

Thanks!
    Ronda

Default Re: I had water in my basement...is it safe now?

Remove the carpet . Throw it away or have it cleaned . How deep did the water get ? Was it only the floor that was affected or did any walls get wet ?

Hi DJohns. Thanks for your reply. The only was mainly on the floor. It did not make it all the way to the walls. It did get some storage boxes wet, the carpet wet, and that's about it.

If the carpet wasn't dried right away it's not going to be worth cleaning. In my opinion, I would get rid of the carpet and bleach the floor then seal the floor so that any mold or mildew in the cracks and crevices will be permanently trapped there.

BTW, Good Job getting the clog cleared on your own. Way to go.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by debbysewn View Post
    If the carpet wasn't dried right away it's not going to be worth cleaning. In my opinion, I would get rid of the carpet and bleach the floor then seal the floor so that any mold or mildew in the cracks and crevices will be permanently trapped there.

BTW, Good Job getting the clog cleared on your own. Way to go.
    Sounds good . You might want to investigate the back-up . Wouldn't want that to happen again .