+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adjusting outlets in too deep for cover plate

I tiled my wall without adjusting the outlets first. I thought I could adjust them afterwards.
    Is there any way to adjust the outlets outward to allow the covers to go on without having to pull the whole box?

Can they be loosened off and have washers of some sort put in to keep them solid? And if so, is there a specific type of washer I need to use?

Relocating the box further out is really not an option at this point. I tried loosening them and having the plate screw hold it out but it doesn't hold it solid enough and when you plug something in, the outlet moves around a little.

There has to be some way..if not...there is an invention or product ready to make millions!

Default Re: Adjusting outlets in too deep for cover plate

Somebody stole your idea a while ago and is making money off it already! There are extension rings for electrical boxes, can be found in the big box or local hardware stores. Come in plastic and metal varieties to match what you already have. Get the plastic variety. You may have to trim the ring to be a little thinner to work for the adjustment you need.

Yep .... as bp21901 says here is an example....
    http://www.builderdepot.com/browse.i...odstoreid=3983

I figured.....I was just wondering because I saw a similar question in this forum and no one made that suggestion at all....the answer always revolved around relocating the whole box.

Thanks guys

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Central Pa inspectors do not require box extenders because tile are not considered flammable. But the neat and workmanship like quality kicks in, IMHO. I think it makes a better looking job as well.
    Purchase #6X32 machine screws somewhat longer than in use now.
    You can also twist #14 AWG wire around an awl and that makes an excellent spacer, helping the Mickey Mouse ears do it job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Central Pa inspectors do not require box extenders because tile are not considered flammable.
    That is not true. Our old house had metal boxes we was required to use metal extenders. No gaps allowed either. Almost cost us the sale.

The box extender is the best solutions because it meets the national electrical code. It is a simple cost effective and easy for a layman to install. Good call guys

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    That is not true. Our old house had metal boxes we was required to use metal extenders. No gaps allowed either. Almost cost us the sale.
    Sorry, it is true with the inspectors I deal with.
    How would you know?
    Tile is never a problem, now drywall & boxes must meet the NEC code.
    And like I stated, I add them for a safer & neater look. So it becomes a moot point...
    Last edited by Ernie_Fergler; 04-15-2008 at 05:36 PM.

cuz we used to live there. ctrl keystone area. you wrong alot about cntrl PA.