+ Reply to Thread

Default Dripping sound from fluorescent light

We have a fluorescent light fixture in our kitchen that is about15 years old, but we like very much. When we turn on the light, there is a dripping sound as if there was a water leak or leaking faucet. Often after about 20-30 minutes, it stops. I checked and it is not a water leak, any thoughts or suggestions on how to repair?

Default Re: Dripping sound from fluorescent light

Fifteen year old florescent fixture, eh?
    Do yourself a favor and run out and buy a new T8 electronic ballast fixture. It will provide years of light without the hassle of trying to rehab the original fixture.
    And might just end up saving you some ching.

It might be the heat from the ballast. As the metal of the fixture housing that touches the ballast heats up it expands to some time makes noise like a ting ting. sounds just like water dripping. All the other suggestions are good answers. If you use a T8 ballast you will also need to use T8 Lamps and newlamp holders.

Thanks to all.

Replaced bulbs and solved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    It might be the heat from the ballast. As the metal of the fixture housing that touches the ballast heats up it expands to some time makes noise like a ting ting. sounds just like water dripping. All the other suggestions are good answers. If you use a T8 ballast you will also need to use T8 Lamps and newlamp holders.
    You are correct. I should have made my thought clearer. I was think along the lines of a completely new fixture.
    Good to hear the problem was solved.