+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Stripping Shellac

I have tons of 1920 woodwork that is coated with shellac. I have stripped the doors easily enough with alcohol; however most of the trim is vertical or above my head. Is there a gel type denatured alcohol that I could find that would stick to the wood and not run down my arm an onto every other surface?
    Last edited by tluther; 04-13-2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling error

Default Re: Stripping Shellac

Just as an FYI to everyone. After receiving no replies and searching the internet for a gel based denatured alcohol to strip my shellac on vertical surfaces and above my head; I hit upon using hand sanitizer. It is almost 100% alcohol and some varieties are thick enough to stay in place for several minutes. I am not saying this is the perfect solution or that it strips it down to the bare wood, but it is working well enough for me to continue experimenting with it.

Pretty good idea/notion.

I have stripped shellac by taking cotton batting, soaking it in isopropanol (99%)and taping it in place. The shellac softened and sc****d easily.

Not a bad idea; however I tried that with paper towels and got a lot of dripping. A lot of the stripping will be a coffered ceiling and I am worried about getting it my eyes or on other surfaces.

I forgot to mention that I covered the batting with plastic sheeting to keep the alcohol from dripping and evaporating.