+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anti-Mosquito options

We want to get a jump on these pesky things this summer. We don't have much airflow in our backyard, so they generally stick around. Our pest treatment company has said they would treat us for the summer for $800 (less than a 1/4 acre), but I think that is robbery. Has anyone tried any of the propane or CO2 contraptions? What kind did you use and did it work for you? Does anything else work? We keep puddles away, cut the grass, etc. but these guys come at us like dive-bombers! Has anyone had a treatment contract? Does it work? Is $800 ridiculous? We would pay almost anything to be able to enjoy our backyard without giving the equivalent of a Red Cross donation every evening!

Default Re: Anti-Mosquito options

We're trying something new this year. You can spray Listerine around (ie: screens, around lawn furnature, etc) it keeps them away. Be careful around wood or anything where the finish may be damaged.

Listerine? Where did you hear that? If it works, I'm going to buy some stock in it! Do you just use a spray bottle? can I spray it around my garden?

We found out about it from a friend. We sprayed about a week ago and haven't seen any.

If you want a natural solution, eucalyptus chips spread generously around the flowerbeds does wonders. Google "neem oil". Neem is quite amazing really and has all kinds of beneficial properties, pest repellent is only one of them. It is a little smelly to begin with, but the odor does dissipate within a day or two and the benefits keep going.

If you have decorative ponds or water features, use hydrogen peroxide to control the alge. Peroxide not only works better than chlorine products, it lasts longer, it's nonpolluting, it's cheaper, and it keeps mosquitoes at bay much longer than chlorine products.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 04-13-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Has anyone used something called "Mosquito Barrier"? It is garlic oil that is supposed to keep them away for one month. It is about $19 for a quart.

Quote Originally Posted by sandhurst View Post
    Has anyone used something called "Mosquito Barrier"? It is garlic oil that is supposed to keep them away for one month. It is about $19 for a quart.
    Two things I'd be concerned about with this product is the long term odor. Garlic odors don't go away willingly, and what are the other ingredients? The synergist that is used to deliver and intensify the effects of a product can turn a relatively benign substance into an extremely toxic one.

Two things with no toxicity and work very well would be for you to use more garlic in your cooking and take a vitamin B-12 supplement. Both deter nippy critters of all kinds.

Thumbs up Re: Anti-Mosquito options

White Vinager! is what I use. This is great. Not only does it last for about 3 hours, but vinager isn't a chemical. Yeah, not chemicals so its totaly safe for even babies.

I sometimes put it in a spray bottle with a little water, or sometimes I pour it rite out of the vinager bottle onto a rag, and wipe it on. Yep, I smell for only a min. It evaps fast.

This works well even while sweating doing yard work. My husband even uses it dispite the smell. We are planning on putting it in a pest sprayer and doing the yard. Good Luck.
    Last edited by 007woman; 04-21-2008 at 12:25 AM.

I actually heard about Listerine as well, and I have tried it. It def. works well, but needs to be sprayed every few weeks. Not too bad of a time investment to keep away pesky mosquitos.
    New homeowner in need of Hidden Content assistance.

We have a small pond & planted something called a "mosquito plant" around the pond & in several other areas of the yard. They grew well, look kind of pretty & the population did go way down, which surprised me because this has been a wet year. Kind of smells like those citronella candles when they are disturbed. The dog pulled all the care cards out of the ground & I don't remember if they are annuals. I'm hoping not, otherwise I have to go hunt for them again next year. I'd send up a picture but I haven't figured out how to do that on this site.