+ Reply to Thread

Default Which heating system is best for me?

We are buying a foreclosed 3 bedroom, 2 bath in a cold and very wet climate (Ketchikan, Alaska 160 inches of rain a year!). House is stripped bare--no furnace, boiler, water heater or oil tank. I'm starting with a blank slate. It does have older hot water radiators in every room but don't know if they work and the condition of the galvanized piping is very questionable. Local electric rate is about 10 cents per kilowatt hour. Heating oil is about $3.50 per gallon. I think LP gas is an option but know nothing about it. Everyone here uses oil furnace, electric baseboard or Monitor type heaters. What would YOU do if it was your house? Considerations are installation costs, operating costs and comfort.
    Norm

Default Re: Which heating system is best for me?

Very difficult to answer a question like this on an internet forum---you'll have to go with local conditions and seek out the help of locals in the town to determine what's available and being used by most of the residents.

You could consult the Yellow Pages under "Heating Contractors" to see if you can get seveal contractors to submit a bid on the type & cost of the new equipment.

If you can salvage the existing radiators by repiping them with PEX plastic piping, a forced hot water oil-fired boiler might be a good option.

Most home insurance policies require some kind of central heating system before they will write a policy.

Default Re: Which heating system is best for me?

I would recommend Geothermal for sure. Very comfortable heating and cooling and soooooooo affordable to run. A customer of mine used $25 to heat in Oct., $36 in Nov., and $80 (very cold) Dec.