+ Reply to Thread

Default DIY metal working tools

I'm curious as to how what variety of metal working tools DIY 'ers have?

For example .... i have a welder , oxy/ace. cutting torch , metal chop saw , drill press.

Default Re: DIY metal working tools

I have those plus a welding table, and a large anvil /vice, and a couple of heavy hammers. Been looking at some small metal laths.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

There was a time that I either had or had access to nearly any metal working device I needed, be it a welder, lathe, brake, oxy set, pneumatic press, etc. Now, I must rely on the kindness of strangers.

On a positive note, I recently found a machinist who is extremely reasonable and has great skill. I found him a few weeks ago when I needed a part for a BBQ grill made. I returned for a special tool that I am eagerly anticipating, and I broached a new, more complex project with him the other day and he basically said, no sweat, just come over and we'll knock it out. That was "we" as in he and I. I'm looking forward to that adventure too.

Now, I must rely on the kindness of strangers.
    So ... now all you have for metal working tools are a pair of tin snips ?

On a positive note, I recently found a machinist who is extremely reasonable and has great skill.
    Yep .... having a valuable resoruce like that is priceless.

Back in the day my best buddy and I worked together in the steel fabing and erecting industry .... when I left he continued on to become a master fabricator.
    When there's a need for something that's out my scope he's available to take care of those situations .... thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post

Back in the day my best buddy and I worked together in the steel fabing and erecting industry .... when I left he continued on to become a master fabricator.
    When there's a need for something that's out my scope he's available to take care of those situations .... thankfully.
    we have a few of those around here ohhhh wait thats a bit different fabricator

we have a few of those around here ohhhh wait thats a bit different fabricator
    ....LOL ...... ooooh .... them's fighting words ......

Hammer claw.

Yes, it is. The first item I needed was the drive lug for a rotisserie motor. The manufacturer didn't sell it, only whole motor assemblies for $60. I figured that it wouldn't cost me any more to have something suitable made over another piece of garbage that will just break again. The new drive lug consisted of a piece of round stock, drilled through the center with two set screws, one to hold the lug on the motor, the other to hold and turn the spit rod. And this is where I became impressed. He chamfered the inside and outside edges of the stock and holes. This thing was beautiful and it works like a charm and will never break. It actually works better than the original.

Next item I'm eagerly awaiting is that extension socket I was talking about a month or so ago. All that is is a socket that is cut in half and each end welded to a length of pipe. Not complicated by any means, yet I wouldn't be surprised if the guy doesn't polish the length of pipe to a "chrome" finish or something.

The next project will be a trammel screen, but that probably won't happen until later this summer because of my schedule.

... when I left he continued on to become a master fabricator.
    Havana stole my thunder! LOL

Jack ... are you using a stick or MIG welder .... do you have a plasma cutter ?

I have a stick welder. I use to have a wire welder but didn't like it. I gave it to my nephew.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb