+ Reply to Thread

Arrow Reclaimed Bricks, Silo

Hello, my father farms and is in the process of removing the remains of two silos, built in the 1920's. Of course, since silos are round, each of the red bricks have a slight curve to them.

We've used some on the farm for various landscaping. Plus, extras were used to create a few sheds and other outbuildings. so I know that can be used for walls that are "roughly" straight. ;-).

I'm courious if anyone would have a lead to someone who might be interested in them - I feel like there should be a use for them. Of course then the question that needs to be addressed is "does that use merit the time and money that it could take to bring them down whole"?

Default Re: Reclaimed Bricks, Silo

So nice! What state do you live in? I hope they can be used by someone--I'm interested, thanks. Zrose

The farm is in Iowa.

I love those silo tiles and have always wanted to use them in my house. How thick are they? Also, do you know if it is difficult to get them clean of old grout, etc?

Thanks for your note!

The size of the each block/tile is roughly 6X12X4. Again, they have a slight curve to them, so that they can form a 20 foot circle.

The mortar on them is old and mostly it's easy to chip off. However, the majority of the blocks right now are still part of a structure that he's planning to get rid of. It's not safe right now. It would take more work to collapse the structure in a way to not break the blocks.

If you're interested in seeing what they look like or learning more, let me know. We'd love to see them stay out of the landfill.