+ Reply to Thread

Default Rain in Breaker Box

Whenever it rains really hard, water runs into my breaker box in the basement. The electric company removed the meter head outside and said that the box is sealed. Since that inspection, I had an electrician caulk inside the box and then put the meter back on.
    The water continues to drip into the breaker box, noticeable because the front panel of the box is removed.
    This problem has been going on for many years as the two drain holes at the bottom of the box are quite rusted.

Please help! I do not know where the water is getting in.
    Thanks!
    L

Default Re: Rain in Breaker Box

I am not sure how the wires from the meter socket to the panel are connected. If it is SE cable (with out conduit) then there could be water traveling in the outer jacket into the panel. I have in the past used duct seal and packed it around the conductors on both ends. If the conductors are in conduit you may also pack duct seal in the end of both conduit openings. If there is conduit outside make sure the connectors and or couplings are made for wet locations. If it is PVC I would silicone the couplings and or connectors. Without more info that is all I can offer at this time

You may want to at least consult a Lic. Electrician to check on the condition of the wires before trying to seal the moisture out. After wires are deemed safe to re-use I would then and only then find the location(s) where the water is coming in and re-seal. I could recommend a few places to begin looking if you could specify what wiring method is used on the service from the top outside , down the house , and then into the panel. Are the wires in pipe , or are they formed into an oval shape layered with either cloth or plastic?
    Last edited by Born2Wire; 04-13-2008 at 01:15 AM. Reason: spelling

The source of the water could be rain water traveling along the outside of the SE cable. {If that is the product used, of course].
    Where the SE cable enters the house, caulk then duct seal.
    Last edited by Ernie_Fergler; 04-13-2008 at 07:03 PM.

I am not trying to down anyones answer because calk is a excellent choice to keep rain out. I was told by a inspector once that chemicals in the calk can attack and cause deterioration of the wire insullation on the SE Cable. So take care in your choices. I myself do not know of any calks that can be used. But I am sure there are some. If there is one out there then I would prefer that over duct seal. Thanks Ernie good call

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    I am not trying to down anyones answer because calk is a excellent choice to keep rain out. I was told by a inspector once that chemicals in the calk can attack and cause deterioration of the wire insullation on the SE Cable. So take care in your choices. I myself do not know of any calks that can be used. But I am sure there are some. If there is one out there then I would prefer that over duct seal. Thanks Ernie good call
    Me too !!!
    Plus duct seal will shrink very little as well.

In my opinion, Check the two bathrooms for a GFI outlet. If you find one, firmly push the reset button on it. If that doesn't work, unplug your fountain and lights from the outdoors outlet and check the breaker again. Is the outdoors outlet properly protected from the rain? The cords going to the fountain and lights need to be sealed from moisture - you really shouldn't use extension cords out there.
    for more than 30 years Hidden Content is providing inexpensive hotel options around the new york city

We had the same problem with our breaker box. We hired an electrician, and he found that the cable/wire on the outside of the house that went inside to the breaker box had some cracks in it which allowed water to seep in and travel to the box. He stated that we were very fortunate to not have had a major fire caused by this. Hope this helps.

generally, if your service has been taking on water long enough for it to now show rust, then it likely needs to be replaced. I am making some assumptions as to the condition of course but I would replace the rusted panel and the service cable between the panel and meter with pvc schd40 and Cu conducters. then re-seal the hole, at that point you could use an RTV silicone (be sure to get it inside the siding). I would also take a close look at the meter pan and riser. Its easier doing it all at once so if it looks like it may go bad in 5 years I would replace it, So I don't have to cover it under warranty.

Its also possable that water is getting behind the siding elsewhere, running down until it hits the SE wire etc ..for this reason I don't seal both sides, if water gets in I want it to get out.

Quick fix..
    JUST TEMPORARY
    tear a strip of cotton towel about 1"x18" tie it around the SE cable just above the point of entrance cut one end of the knot short and allow the other to hang below the point of entrance, make sure the tail that hangs is not touching the house, Most of the water will run down the tail rather than in the panel. this is VERY TEMPORARY once it gets wet take it off.

A breaker arrangement having separate covers for the meter side and breaker side. The meter side includes as an extension there of a rain gutter which underlaps a flange on the breaker cover to provide a rain-proof or water-proof enclosure when both covers are disposed securely on the enclosure. In addition, a locking arrangement is provided so that the breaker cover can be removed without allowing access to the meter region. Alternatively, both the meter cover and breaker cover can be removed. A flexible, partially non-electrically conductive, security member is provided for separating the meter side from the breaker side.Electrician to check on the condition of the wires before trying to seal the moisture out. After wires are deemed safe to re-use I would then and only then find the location(s) where the water is coming in and re-seal.
    marrakech hotel is owned by Hidden Content this hotel is situated in new york city