+ Reply to Thread

Wink Soil pipe damaged

Hello,
    I removed my toilet to replace the wax and flange and found the soil pipe damaged. How can I remove the pipe to replace it or do I have to call my plumber? Any suggestions would help. Thank you.The house is fifty years old. I live in Ohio.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toilet 002.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	1000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toilet 004.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	1001   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toilet 003.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	1002  

Default Re: Soil pipe damaged

Yes you need to call a plumber.

Talking Re: Soil pipe damaged

Hello,
    I want to thank you i.m.plummin for answering my question. Here's an up date. I didn't need a plummer, I just needed his supply store. I fixed it myself. Here's the new pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0044.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	1043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0045.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	1044  
    Last edited by Leggz; 05-03-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Hey, great, good for you.
    How'd it go? The initial pictures showed that the closet collar were missing of course but their appeared to be some reduction in the closet riser. And honestly looked fairly involved. Though I admit the pipe may have appeared to be forshortended in the photo. And, since you were doing such a nice job why'd you turn the collar to the key slots and not the peripheral ones? The collar is much more secure that way and les prone to breaking. Share your experience so others can learn from it. Looks real nice.

Hey Thanks,
    I noticed that the original owners of this house had folded the original pipe over a flimsy flange and after unfolding the pipe I found the hole in the pipe. This piece of the pipe was sitting inside my real pipe. I couldn't remove it so, I cut it off and found a flange to fit inside. It also helped that I put in a layer of luan and laid my floor on top of that. Since the pipe is 4 inches and the flange is 3 inches, I had to seal it with a wax ring. As far as the key slots, it just might be the way I took the pic. The slots for the screws are positioned for the way the toilet will be re-installed.

Folded the PiPe!?!? Are you serious? Is it lead pipe? I thought that mess was tape. Tell me you did not just smear wax on the collar and just smash it on there. Please no. Post again with more info. If it's lead pipe I can tell you a way better repair. What material are we talking about here.

I'm serious about the pipe. It is lead. The flange came with gasket to secure it within the pipe. I added the wax for extra security. That was not tape. It was the pipe for the old flange. I hope that covered it.

You may be fine. The best repair/install would have been a bronze collar and they are probably cheaper almost anywhere than a mechanical collar. However to "pour and wipe the joint" requires highly skilled use of controlled heat. How ever the mechanically sealed collar should be fine since you clearly fastened it to the floor.

Since you have probably already set it I will share my favorite toilet tip with you. I saw you installed a wood floor. You can get translucent poly shims ( little clearish plastic wedges) and trim them to level out any rocking that may exist in the bowl. Finally seal the toilet to the floor with clear DAP. It goes on white but dries to the identical translicent color as the shims. Wipe the DAP into the joint with your finger and clean the excess with a damp sponge. No use until it cures clear and tou will be very pleased with your result.

Wink Re: Soil pipe damaged

Thanks,
    I installed the toilet this weekend and there is no more rocking. It used to and that's when I noticed the problem from the beginning. The floor is not wood, it looks like it. It really peel and stick flooring I found @ Lowes. Take care for now. I have other plumbing projects and if I have any problems(and you know I will) this is the first place I'll come.