+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to keep dogs out of my yard?

My neighbor's dogs are killing my landscaping. My grass looks
    like hell with all of the different shades of green from urine.
    I also have a row of cypress trees that look dead from the ground to about 2 ft up. I have thought about using an ultrasonic transmitter to keep them away. Does anyone have experience with them? My wife threatened divorce and eviction if I get a motion activated sprinkler. Please help. I'm living in dog piss hell.

Default Re: How to keep dogs out of my yard?

I'm sure you have some kind of " Leash law " in your area . Call your local Animal Control office and have them come out .
    The owners are responsible for those dogs and should be held accountable .

Djohns is right, generally municipalities have leash laws, however, before involving the authorities, have you tried talking with your neighbor, or is that a known excersize in futility?

I once had a neighbor that had two white labs that would come into my front yard every time they were out. They'd pee on everything and leave their business anywhere and everywhere as well. We'd watch from the window when the neighbor would come out in the front yard and they'd just watch and let their animals roam to our yard and do business, never cleaning it up or attempting to call the animals back. The final straw was when my sister couldn't get out of the house because one of the dogs came up to the front door and growled - fangs and all when she opened the door. The next time a treat was left laying in our yard, we picked it up and placed it squarely on their entry mat at the front door. That happened once, maybe twice, and the dogs no longer came into our yard. You don't have to be nasty about returning dog treats to their rightful owner (i.e. grinding the poo into the mat ) to make it clear you're tired of having to clean up after your neighbors animals.

Another matter with this same neighbor is that their rugrat, Satan's spawn, kids would throw crap over the fence. Everything from garbage to gardening tools, to toys and clothing. This also stopped when the good stuff went into our garbage can and the crap was returned to their roof. Good fences or not, doesn't make for good neighbors, good neighbors sometimes need to be trained to be good neighbors.

Good post Spruce . I have said it before and it bears repeating . I will NOT alter my lifestyle or my landscape to accommodate someone else's dogs or cats . I'll do whatever it takes to resolve the situation . It's up to the owner wether we do it the easy way or the hard way .

scuba,

Don't know how many lineal feet of border you have to protect to put an end to this, but.......I can tell ya what WILL work; an electric fencer unit like those used for livestock.

If the dogs stay on their property but lift their legs to relieve themselves on your stuff, you may have to invest in a substantial amount of chicken wire or hardware cloth in addition to the posts and insulators to hold it up. Put it up as a continuous fence. Trust me..... the first time their stream hits that energized wire......will be the last time they venture near.

If they're accustomed to freely trepassing onto your property instead, all you'll need is the fencer unit,some posts & insulators and electric fence wire. Set the wire or maybe two pieces at different heights so that they'll easily contact it and can't easily crawl under. Same scenario. Once bitten, forever shy.

Or.....a .410 loaded with rock-salt.

Or.....a big aggressive cat on a chain. (think cougar)

Recently TOH published using coffee grounds as a cat repellent. Does anyone have a suggestion for keeping dogs off my lawn at night(besides erecting a fence)?

Here is what my brother uses...... very effective.

HAHAHA nice picture...I laughed for a good 10 min.
    New homeowner in need of Hidden Content assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by rachael24 View Post
    HAHAHA nice picture...I laughed for a good 10 min.
    He knew he had a kitty hanging around. Just not a kitty quite that big.

Here's another neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    He knew he had a kitty hanging around. Just not a kitty quite that big.

It'll take more than coffee grounds to keep a kitty THAT big outta the yard!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!