+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 hour firewall

Default 2 hour firewall

***, we bought a 100 y/o building, trying to renovate the upstairs 2nd floor to a duplex, the permit Nazis want us to destroy the lower level drop ceiling and add firewall. There's gotta be an easier way????help???
    KTF

Default Re: 2 hour firewall

If they want a 2 hr rated assembly, then you have to figure out what is required. The codes allow for modifications to existing construction to bring it up to a rating. If the code official is willing, see what is acceptable to achieve a 2 hour rating. You most likely will have to know what is there now for any recommendations. Code official may not give you the best or most cost efficient method. They may require an architects stamp for modifications. Any penetrations in the floor like pipes will have to be properly fire safed too.
    The only thing that would get you out of the 2 hour rating possibly is installing a sprinkler system. Not a bad thing, but expensive. Even with a sprinkler a lesser rating will probably still be needed. The building codes & life safety codes have many provisions for separations of residential occupancies.
    On the plus side, besides being safer, take the opportunity to include acoustical insulation in the assembly to inhibit sound transfer from above. Drop ceilings can be removed & reinstalled.
    Sorry, their isn't an easy or inexpensive way to do what's required, but it will allow you collect extra rent.

You may have to hang 5/8 fire code drywall. I can't remember the fire rating on it. But it should say somewhere on the board I think. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by plastrr385 View Post
    You may have to hang 5/8 fire code drywall. I can't remember the fire rating on it. But it should say somewhere on the board I think. Hope this helps
    two layers offer a one hour rating but it would depend on exactally what the code official was looking at. there are several different ways to get 2 hr rating. I would contact a comercial drywall company because they are used to dealing with fire walls and especially ones of higher rating such as 2 hr. as would be typical around elevator shafts.