+ Reply to Thread

Default Uneven subflooring

Hey guys, We are in the middle of a house renovation where we've added a second floor and remodeled part of the 1st floor. I've recently ripped the carpet out downstairs only to find some interesting challenges. Apparently back in 1945 an addition was put onto the front of this house (which is now half of the living room) and in this area the floor joists change direction because of the old substructure. Where the old (joists 24" O.C.) and really old (16" O.C.) meet, there is a major crown that runs through the middle of the room. Do you suppose any fix is possible without ripping the sub-floor out and re-framing the floor joists? There are two layers of sub-floor, tongue and groove plank and then 1/2" plywood, and I was thinking about major sanding but I'm afraid this may only be a patch. I am planning on installing bamboo hardwood eventually. Thanks in advance...

Default Re: Uneven subflooring

I have read that site. Problem is I need a surface to staple to. I figured a floor leveler would disintegrate once I put a few thousand staples into it. If I added the floating sub-floor, I'd have to raise the all of the doors. Thanks for the reply, I will continue to research.