I have a solar water tank. It has a heat exchanger that has never been used. I decided to use the tank as a reserve tank for water if something happened to our community well. Recently it sprung a leak. So far it appears to be somewhere at the bottom of the tank.
This tank was hooked to the water supply with PVC pipe. The tank is made of SS steel with welded pipe nipples on the inlet and outlet.
Question being, because of availablity I used galvanized fittings coming off the SS nipples. Upon taking the tank out of service I noticed a lot of rust around the pipe nipples, on the inside of the tank I noticed that the heat exchanger coil appears to have some bluish green corrosion.
I am wondering what may have caused the tank to fail, where the bluish green corrosion came from and if in fact the galvanized pipe fittings could be a contribuiting factor EVEN though the tank was only connected to the water supply inlets and outlets by PVC piping. One other thing, our water is very hard I have been told.